Monday, March 12, 2007

Time Is On My Side

I had mentioned that Saturday my wife and I spent most of the day outside working on ours and our neighbor's yard. While we were working, "Rich", the neighbor on the other side of us, had a crew installing a new sprinkler system in his yard. There were about 10 workers total, all Latino except 2 Gringos. One of the Gringo's appeared to work pretty hard, but the older one spent more time trying to look busy than actually being busy. At one point he was in my yard leaning against my fence (in the shade). He only moved when I began spraying weed killer. The rest of the day every time I looked up, he was staring at me. The old El Gee would have had a word or two with him and if he decided to run his mouth, he would have been the recipient of a few choice Krav Maga moves I know. I am beginning to realize that I enjoy my space too much to be a sub-urbanite...but I digress.

Sunday after I got up, walked Little Man and made my coffee, I logged on to read my mail and some news. I noticed that my KDE powered main PC did not change times automatically, even though the patches were installed and the TZ was set properly. I booted up megaserver (my very underpowered file and print server) and it was fine. It was patched and set up just like geekbox so I do not know why it did and geekbox did not update properly.

I booted up my wife's Windows 2000 box and it did not change either. I rebooted geekbox into Windows (it dual boots) and found that it was changed the time two hours instead of one. I later found that my machines at work (2 Windows and 1 Linux) updated properly. So far, very mixed results.

Our message at church was a continuation of "Goof Ups Only God Can Fix" and was on Noah. You can always take a simple story and get quite a bit out of it if you look deep enough. The praise music was very upbeat and the new/temp worship leader is fitting in with the rest of the band very well. I did not like him much at first, but I think he will fit in nicely if his heart is in the right place.

My wife and I met a few people for lunch at "Joe's Italian Bistro" after church. Joe's is pretty good. It is not high end at all. Good food at a reasonable price. I wish the service was better, but I guess that overall it is not too bad. I had my typical Lobster Ravioli and a diet Pepsi. I was careful not to go overboard on the garlic rolls...I get too much starch in my diet as it is. I think I had 2, maybe 3...mostly to mop up the wonderful sauce from my Ravioli.

My wife told me she was going shopping with "Darlene" and I was free to rest at home...no pressure to finish (actually start) the housework. That was good because I do not work on the Christian Sabbath very often. I figure 6 days a week is enough.

I watched "Return of the Jedi" with the additional footage (gift from my wife's boss), ate a quick bite, checked my e-mail, and got ready for Sunday evening service. We only have this service once a month and it is all praise music and prayer...something that I enjoy. We used to do this every week, but I never felt like I got any rest so I stopped going. Now that it is once a month, I appreciate it more.

I got home and walked Little Man again and called mom to see how she was doing. Not much new with her but I like to call to check up on her. She told me that they received 5 inches of snow on Wednesday...I find that funny because it was warm (60's) here.

After I got back from my walk with Little Man, my wife took The Golden for a walk. As soon as she was outside, the dog belonging to our neighbor "Joe" and his wife "Helen" became overly friendly with The Golden. My wife normally would not have minded, but since the Golden is recovering from surgery, this was a bad thing. My wife brought our dog in and then returned the other dog back to his owners.

The owners are not very responsible dog owners (in my opinion). They buy expensive dogs and do nothing to take care of them. the dog that was loose last night was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever that they used to keep locked up in the garage all the time. It now has access to the yard via a pet door, but the never walk her.

As my wife was returning the dog, Joe informed my wife that their newest dog, a Munsterlander, was hit by a car. It got out through a hole in their fence. Sad. She was more hurt than the owners were. People like my wife are rare. She loves dogs as much as most people love their kids.

After this somewhat eventful evening, I decided to read some from a book that was loaned to me (The Deaths of Innocents) and then went to bed. I was pretty tired and expected a busy day at work Monday so I figured I better get some shut eye.

No comments: