Sunday, January 14, 2007

Trapped Under Ice

In North Central Texas? Are you nuts? Well, we are not, (Thank you Lord) but the forecast had called for ice...up to an inch of accumulation for our area...seems there was some sort of little squall headed our way but it appears to have petered out. Do not get me wrong...we are still under an ice storm warning until Monday morning, but I believe that we will be spared the wrath.

The rain stopped yesterday evening (there is nothing more miserable than a constant hard rain with air temps at 33 degrees). The ground had reached saturation and the water was beginning to puddle up...flooding was eminent. Then it stopped later that evening, allowing the water to slowly absorb. The temp drifted below freezing, but the ground did not freeze solid since the temp was only slightly below freezing and the impurities in the soil raises lowers the freezing point. The high today is...32 degrees (0 for the metric folks) and more rain is forecast for us. As a matter of fact, only four of the next 10 days is supposed to be dry.

Well, my wife just got a call from the churches automated system telling us that Sunday School has been canceled for this week, although service will be held as usual. Normally I would scoff at this, but since we have a large number of poorer families and elderly at our church, it makes sense...at least to me.

Yesterday when I started to start the data retrieval from my BiC's HD, I noticed that HDD Health was reporting that the drive was going to have complete failure soon, so my initial diagnosis was correct. Yeah Me! I thought about giving it the old college try with Drive Rescue but after letting it run for 40 minutes and getting very little from it, I gave up. If a drive is in good health, Drive Rescue will pull a lot of data from even a formated drive (I have used it before when 'mistakes' were made...that is all I am going to say about that). While it is a little bit more complex to use than Restoration, it is more thorough.

With an attempt at recovering data (to prove my BiC wrong) from a faulty hard drive failing, I unhooked the drive and put it in my stack of things to hand out at church...if people are there!

No comments: