Thursday, January 18, 2007

It's Raining Again

Well, it is 34 degrees (weather.com says it feels like 27...joy) and raining...just like it was last weekend. Will it make it to 44 today like originally forecast? I doubt it. Will we have a repeat of last weekend? Our local team says no, but the national team says yes. Which weather geeks will be correct?

We got a surprise package in the mail yesterday. It was a career assessment pack from HR. I think everyone got one from the comments on people's faces and the new article on our intranet. I guess this is in response to all the complaints about how hard it is to establish a career path in this mega company. The internal job board has a lot of postings, but it is hard to tell from the names what each job is. Anyhoo, I put the CD-ROM in my laptop and poked around and I had to admit that whoever organized this did a pretty good job. The headings make sense (most of them) and you can tell from your experience which heading you belong in. Each job type has its own catagory (HR, IT, Ops, etc) and you drill down from there. I spent about 20-30 minutes on it and decided that I need to take it seriously. Action item...investigate the CD fully and start dialog with my boss concerning career path.

I did some reorganizing in my office before lunch since there was not much going on. Our set up is pretty unusual and I take advantage of that. We have a (direct) connection to our customers network as well as our own. Most of us have 2 data ports, so we normally use one machine to do the customer based stuff and one to
do our company based stuff. We have the ability to VPN to either net from the other, but it is normally slower and connections are not always stable...but I digress.

I have several machines in my office and for whatever reason, I had a couple of them behind me on the credenza and my laptop on my desk. It was an odd setup and I was getting tired of it, so I moved it all to my desk. With a KVM switch it does not look too bad..more like a tech than a manager, but I am a geek at heart. Maybe if I can remember I will get some photos...it has been a while since I took one of my workspace.

No comments: