Monday, January 15, 2007

Not Really A Holiday

NO, I am not being racist...I am simply stating that even though this is a company holiday for us at Mega IT Company, most of us are still working (the customer we support is working today). The one thing that makes it a semi-holiday for me is the fact that the north central Tejas area received some ice over night and that has made travel a bit hazardous for the residents of the area...so I am 'working' from home. It is nice to be in my sweats/jammies, unshaven with 3 terminals running, one of which is personal.

Now I am not sure, but today may be an inclement weather day for our customer in this area, but considering we support a lot more than one area...we still need to be available. So I sit at home, cell phone near by, logged on via VPN to two separate systems.

The weather over the past few days has been very bad...rain Friday night and all day Saturday with the temps just above freezing AND we have two dogs that need to go out every so often to 'do their thing'. Sunday the rain slacked off but the temps were about the same. Overnight the temps plummeted and the wind made it nasty cold (15 degree wind chill...something Texans ARE NOT used to) and my light coat was not much help. I never had purchased a heavy coat since it would get used maybe one week out of the year.

So I sit in my office with a slower than normal broadband connection (I guess all those who are home are surfing and that makes my connection rather slow) and I have 4 active machines of my own connected to the 'net right now. The wife has even complained about poor internet performance!

My Tarheels lost the battle on the hardwood with a scrappy Virginia Tech team on Saturday. They trailed most (if not all) of the game but poured on the gas the last 5 minutes. However, that was 'a dollar short and a day late' as my dad used to say and they lost by 6. That is okay...I think they needed the reality check. Besides, they also beat Duke...AT DUKE.

I missed the season opener (actually part one of a two parter) last night of '24'. My wife saw it (I was talking with mom...fair trade...I guess) and told me it was very suspenseful. Well, at least I should be able to see part two tonight.

No comments: