Saturday, January 13, 2007

D-Day

The weather outside is miserable. Cold (just above freezing, but falling...albeit slowly) rainy (it as rained all day and most of last night) and I am not in the mood for house cleaning...so I did some PC cleaning...D-Day...Data Day.

First I gathered up the 10 year old HP laser printer (5L) we have and a very noise HP Deskjet, along with an old external tape drive so I could take them to be properly recycled. Then I took out my PC supply box and went throw it concentrating on hard disks. I had 7 old drives (from 1.2 gig to 20 gig) and decided to wipe them and dispose of them. One was a disk I pulled from a SiC at church...an older women who I do some work for now and then. I did not realize the disk had 3 different viruses on it contaminating 50 system files. I ran and cleaned the disk, and copied some data that I bet she did not know was on there. I am going to give here the CD tomorrow at church. Most of the data was photos and tax info...stuff she should keep copies of...just in case.

I sanitized the drives and found 1 defective one...not sure why I still had it. I kept 3 and will dispose of 4...1 defect and 3 small ones. I am keeping the 20 gig, a 15 gig, and a 10 gig. The will work well in a future Linux server.

The last bit of IT work I want to do is some forensic work on a hard drive that my BiC asked me to get rid of. It was NTFS and he formatted it to FAT32...he swears that the data is gone...I want to show him it is not :)

No comments: