Wednesday, January 31, 2007

An Open Letter To Recruiters

While this is fresh on my mind, I wanted to post this. Feel free to add to it:

Dear Recruiter,

Thank you for interrupting my lunch to call me about a job you have posted in Houston Texas. While I am honored that my diverse experience meets or exceeds the requirements of the job you are peddling, a five hour commute from Dallas to Houston is not reasonable at this time. If that condition changes, I will be sure to notify you immediately.

I would like to point out a few things about my resume that appear to have slipped by your eagle-like eyes. The first is my work history. Help Desk jobs paying $10-12 an hour are not part of my career path, neither is selling insurance. I can see how the Project Manager, Help Desk Manager, Escalation Manager, and Unix Administrator roles I have previously held could be confused with Sales Person or Call Center Agent so I will not hold you accountable for that. With that being said, I am not interested.

The second point pertains to dates of employment. While I agree it may seem old fashioned, dates of employment that include verbiage along the lines of "From June 2003 to Present" most likely indicates that I am not willing to take a three month contract that offers no benefits and less money than I make now. Call me fickle, but I just don't think that will work for me.

Thirdly, when you e-mail those well written and formatted form letters to me, would it be too much to ask for some spell and grammar checking? When an interview request or job posting includes "...attention to detale..." a red flag tends to go up. And speaking of detail, is it possible that you put the correct location in the job posting? Sending me a job advert for a position over an hour away (during the best road conditions) when the job is really 20 minutes away is a big deal. "Oh, I just forgot to change the city" is a poor excuse. Why would I want to put my career in the hands of someone who pays that little attention to "detale"?

Fourth, buzzwords are dangerous. If they are used out of context, you are going to make a fool of yourself and you will not get your commission on my account. Don't fake knowledge. It is not an N-O-C, it is a KNOCK.

One last point. Having XYZ experience is not the same as being an XYZ architect. I can have all the experience in the world using an application or platform, but there is no way I can design, build, ordeploy it. I have over 20 years experience with driving cars, but I cannot build one.

Thanks again for considering me for this position.

El Gee


***************************************

I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer for yet. Why do agencies post three month contracts for something like a Help Desk Manager? I got a call today (which prompted a fair percentage of the previous letter) for a Help Desk Manager's job on a three month contract with a HUGE (global) corporation. It is gonna take a person just that long to get up to speed on all the processes. What am I missing?

No comments: