Monday, October 02, 2006

Road Trip Count Down / Weekend Update

T minus 94 hours before I begin my annual road trip to WV. While I have not done massive planning yet, I have started to collect things that I do not want to forget. The question I have right now is do I want to take my older Linux laptop or do I want to take my work laptop. Both will play movies (which I have a few things I want to watch IF I get bored). The pros and cons include losing/damaging the work laptop on the road versus the fact I would have to transfer all the movies to my old laptops hard drive (no DVD player). I most likely will do the transfer. The work laptop is safer at home or better yet, the office.

I have collected the little things I wanted to give my mom (books and magazines), I have my camera/batteries handy and packing will take less than 2 hours. I will not need much in the way of camping supplies since I am just stopping over at the camp to sleep. I will arrive late and leave early. It is cheaper than any hotel ($10 a night ... electricity and water included) and has showers (public but usable).

I will need to get my travel atlas and tool box. I will need to call mom and see if I need to bring power tools ... she may have a project for me! We have most of the travel food I will need (snacks, water, SoBe drinks, yogurt, etc) but I will need to get some other things to make sandwiches so I do not have to spend too much money on food while driving for 2 days.

The van will be getting new tires this week from Sam's club. It just had a fluid change and is cleaned out enough to travel in. I will have my wife get me some cash when she deposits her paycheck this week. My clothes will be clean by then and I will make sure all the bills are caught up so my lovely wife does not have to worry about them while I am gone.

One thing I need to look into getting is the cassette adapter for the CD/MP3 player. I travel charger for my phone would be nice, but it is not necessary at this point I do not think.

Friday evening was laid back with some TV time and bed. Saturday was a lot more productive. I was hoping to have my weed eater back so I could do my lawn as well as my neighbors, but no dice. Warranty work takes too long and the repair shop does not seem to care.

I managed to help my wife grill a London Broil and we ate on that for a couple of days. I did the normal Saturday chore list (laundry, vacuuming, strip/make bed as well as spraying for weeds, ants, cleaning up after my wife when she trimmed some shrubs. There is a lot more to do around the outside, but lo and behold, it was in the mid 90's here and not great weather to work outside.

Sunday was a great day filled with church and brunch at Jimmy and Collette's house. My wife and I actually got to help which made her happy. She feels she never does enough. We scrambled eggs, made bacon, fried up some apples, and sliced up fruit while Jimmy worked on crepes. The whole presentation was fantastic. Couple that with the gourmet juices (banana strawberry and mango lemonade), gourmet coffee and cream, and we had a great afternoon.

We had actually stayed until 6 PM or so and I felt pretty bad about imposing that long, but true to form, Jimmy, Collette, and Collette's parents (they showed up later) told us that we were always welcome and enjoyed our company. Awwwww shucks!

Before we made it out the door, Jimmy handed me a gift. It was a small collection of letter opener sized swords in a castle themed display holder. It had been on his shelf for several weeks and he told me that he bought it the same time that he bought me the katana. He said the box was pretty damaged but he wanted me to have the swords nonetheless. WOW, I was blown away. I have not many people who are some generous and want nothing but brotherly love in return. Jimmy is away cool guy.

After we left my wife asked me if we could run a couple of errands before we went home and fed the dogs. We just had to make a quick trip to Target to return a few things and to Tom Thumb to get a refund on some mispriced groceries my wife bought a few days ago. Once that was done, we headed home to feed the dogs and watch some tube.

We decided to watch an episode of "Brimstone" but before it was over, we both realized we were a bit hungry. In keeping up with our mostly healthy day, we decided just to have cereal, cold for my wife and oatmeal for me.

We got rather caught up in the "Brimstone" watching and ended up watching 3 episodes before we called it a night. We got plenty of sleep and I felt pretty good once I got rolling. I was trying to remain focused on this week as much as possible. I am sure that I will be tested in many ways before I make it to WV.

Keep me in prayer.

No comments: