Friday, October 20, 2006

Emotional

...that is the word for today. This is the last day for 21 employees who worked the $Major_Swedish_Mobile_Network_Equipment Provider account. I has been tough saying goodbye to some of these people. While many I did not know, many more I have worked with since I made my way to Texas 5+ years ago.

A few of the gang left out of office messages on their e-mail accounts...some were funny, some were just a "I no longer work for $Company, please direct all inquiries to the Help Desk" type. There was a degree of reminiscing as well as some stories of things that were done after the announcement was made to lay off 30% of the staff (we now have 24 people in the building on the account. There *may* be a total 30 people in the building all together).

The building is unusually empty this afternoon since all the laid off people decided to have a brew or two at a local watering hole with the staff that has been retained. At present there are 5 people in the building, not counting security and 3 are from my old team, UNIX (I am not sure what that says about us...). I may join them in an hour or so, maybe not.

The crew that got laid off said that they are the lucky ones, because they will not have to go through the issues we will in the upcoming weeks. I am not sure how bad it will be, but I know that we will have some cleaning up to do. We handed over a mess and it will eventually come back to bite us on the posterior.

I am amazed on how unmotivated I have been the past week or so. I came back from vacation and managed to get caught up pretty quickly and I have been through all the tutorials for my new role (as well as some one on one training with the guy who was laid off), but I feel disconnected. I know part of it is the loss of the staff but I think a bigger part is the feeling that this is just part one of a 2-3 stage shut down of our site. It is no secret that my company wants to consolidate all the remote trade data centers into more centralized data centers. I really do not have to be on site to do my job, but since it has a land line and I do not, it makes things easier to be here, although I could be at any $Company site and get my job done. I will not need access to the client's site at all.

I start my new role officially on Monday. I am hoping to move to a new office since this one is 1/2 lab area and 1/2 mine, but the lab tends to bleed over into my work area more and more. I like my space and when I do not get it, I tend to get a bit territorial.

14:30 hours and it feels like it should be 16:30. Bored out of my skull.

No comments: