Saturday, October 14, 2006

Home

I woke up on Saturday COLD (I later found out it was 40 degrees where I was). I had not been this cold waking up in years. It reminded me of the times I used to sleep in the cabin we had in the woods when I was growing up. We would sleep in it year round (mostly when we were partying and needed someplace private) and it was never very well insulated. It was 40 degrees when I woke up and still dark at 6 AM. I needed to urinate very badly, so I walked down to the bath house to brush my teeth and answer natures call. After taking care of business I walked back and packed up my things. No sense in staying here any longer than I had to. I skipped breakfast and hit the road.

I was on the road by 6:30 AM and drove until I needed gas. I filled up just north of Little Rock, AR and kept driving until I made it to Arkadelphia. One thing I noticed on Saturday was the plethora of truckers on the road. I would guess 50% + of the traffic was 18 wheelers. It made driving tight at times and I was afraid I was going to get behind my schedule, but in the long run I did ok.

I hit Texarkana about 12:30 PM and was pleased to know I would be home near 4. Armed with that knowledge, I stopped a few times to use the toilet, get a drink and read my bible. Those last 3 hours were very tough. The last 2 hours I spent on I-30 were the toughest.

I pulled off onto 380 and breathed a sigh of relief knowing I had about 30 minutes left on my journey. I had given some thought to stopping and pickup up some flowers for my wife since I was unable to be here on her birthday and the closer to home I got, the more I knew it was the right thing to do. So when I got into town, that is the first thing I did. I am very happy that I did because my wife was very excited to get them.

I spent the next few hours unloading, unpacking, putting away, and eating. I checked my e-mail (300+) but did not really digest it. My wife kept me up to date with the important stuff.

Oddly enough I was not very sleepy, so my wife and I caught up on all the Law and Order episodes I missed. We finally made it to bed by 11:00 PM. I slept very well.

No comments: