Tuesday, October 17, 2006

How Do You Define Love?

I know my wife loves me. It is evident in the way she does things for me without me ever asking...

My wife woke up at about 3:30 and could not get back to sleep. I was still recuperating from my road trip and was sleeping pretty soundly so she turned off the alarm clock and walked/fed the dogs while I got an extra half hour of sleep. Since it had been raining all night and it tapered off a good deal, she figured it would be a good time to do this rather than later when it may be raining hard again. When I got up I was pretty disoriented and wondered why the alarm did not go off. My wife (who was just coming back to bed) filled me in and told me to "go make my coffee and wake up". That is love.

I try to show my love for my wife to her as often as I can. I have some things you can do to show your wife how much you care for her. While we have had our ups and downs, when we both focus on each other instead of ourselves, our relationship thrives.

Here are some things you can do to make most women fell appreciated and loved:

1) Touch her in non-sexual ways as often as possible. Most women crave touch and the only time many receive it is during sexual activity. Surprise her with non-sexual touching as often as you can.
2) Praise her. Often. Publicly. Without an agenda. Most women desire respect from their mates and getting this means a lot. She will respect you for praising her.
3) If you are in debt, make a plan to get out of debt and share it with her. Most women when they get married want to feel secure. Debt puts a shadow of doubt on your future.
4) Date your wife. Spend time with just her at least 2 times a month. It could be dinner, a movie, a long walk, window shopping, day trips to the beach or mountains, or just about anything where you are all hers for that time period. She needs to know that she is worth your time.
5) Be a leader. While many women will claim they do not want a man "leading" them at home, the simple truth is that many times they are conditioned to feel that way by the media. Most women respect men who are confident and assertive (but not domineering) and would welcome their husbands being the leader of the house.
6) Pray daily with your wife. I know it can be awkward the first 30 or so times you do it, but praying with your wife allows you to open up to her and appeal to her sensitive side. I know a lot of couples who pray silently, by themselves every evening, but never pray with their spouses. A few of them have given prayer together a try and they all stated that their relationships were strengthened by it.

I am not a therapist, nor do play one on TV, but I do know that the above steps, when done with sincerity, work.

No comments: