Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head...

Woke up right on time with Mr Coffee perking away at 7 AM. I had not had to use my alarm (PDA) yet and for that I was thankful. My PDA was acting a bit weird and it seems it will only hold a charge for a couple of days and was a bit worried about losing data...

Breakfast was very light this morning: coffee and Pop Tarts. Not exactly the breakfast of champions, but it would do until lunch. I was hoping mom would let me take her out to lunch, but I was not sure she would. She is funny about things like that sometimes...

Today is mom and my lovely wife's birthday. After talking to my wife and wishing her a happy birthday I took mom out for lunch (yes she let me bless her). I told her to pick some place and she decided on Chinese. The best place (quality/price) is a rather large buffet that is very popular with the locals. While it is far from "nice", it is what she wanted. "Honor thy mother and father..."

Lunch was OK and while I got my fill, I did not eat nearly as much as I normally would. The hot and sour soup was much hotter and a lot less sour than I am used to, but I managed to choked it down. The selection of food was pretty good and had I been smart, I would have investigated the sushi bar and the Mongolian grill. However I stuck to the normal fare. It was adequate.

After lunch we walked the mall to burn off a few calories before we went to pick up Sparky. It was raining very lightly (like it had been all day), but it was not cold at all. I asked mom if she wanted to drive down to pick up my nephew but she said she preferred the walk, even in a light rain, so we did. It was a nice walk.

We got home and Heath called. He asked me what I wanted to do and I told him that I was not really sure, so he suggested that we go to the mall. He needed some tennis shoes and a DVD/CD lens cleaner and I knew we could get both there. As I was getting ready to leave, mom informed me that she was ordering pizza for dinner. I told her after the huge lunch, I was not really even thinking about food, BUT I would be hungry when I got home. I told her just to leave out 3-4 slices and I would eat them when I got back. She smiled and agreed and then I went to pick up Heath.

Heath lives in a house that is owned by his parents, but they do not live there. It is a bit run down and unkempt but at least he does not have to pay rent. Heath works at a local TV station running the camera and doing general support duties for the night shift. I pray for him because he has so many things backwards. He does not care about his appearance, nor does he try to succeed, but he will spend tremendous amounts of time trying to meet women online. If he would just try to get his life in order before he tried to meet someone, things would work out better. I have tried to mentor him on this but it is wasted on him. He is happy being miserable.

I parked around back as agreed and knocked on his back door. He did not immediately answer, so I knocked again. Still no answer. After a few minutes, I try the door knob and it is locked. I finally call his cell phone. He asks me were I am and I tell him, "the back door". He then asks me why I was at the back when he had unlocked the front. I asked him why he unlocked the front when he wanted me to park in back. And with that, he let me in.

I let him get organized and we then drove to the mall to get his stuff. We find his shoes after 2 failed attempts (Target and The Shoe Store). He is a big guy who wears a size 13 shoe and finding those is not always easy. We eventually find him a pair at Sears and they are even on sale. Score!

Next on the list is a DVD/CD cleaner. We go into a video game store and he finds what he is looking for. After this purchase and 2 more laps around the mall, we head home. Heath asked me to stop at the Quickie Mart (snicker) top get some 'pop' and some snacks. After a brief stop and some haggling with Apu (just kidding) we head back to his house.

Once we go there he asked if I wanted to watch a movie and I noticed he had S.W.A.T and since I had not seen it, I thought it a good choice. While it was OK, the series was better. Next we pop in Bruce Lee's "Fist of Fury". While the acting and the story is very poor, I love the action.

The second movie was over at around 10 PM so I headed back home. When I got there, my pizza was in a Zip Lock bag in the fridge along with a cold grape "pop". I chatted with mom for about an hour and then decided to go to sleep.

I managed to finish book three of the Left Behind prequel earlier in the day. 2 books in less than a week is a new record. I even managed to keep up my bible reading on top of that as well as work a crossword puzzle or two.

No comments: