Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Bit of an Update and ... OK, I Lied About Ubuntu

I stated in a previous post that I had nothing but problems with installing Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft" but I was mistaken. Saturday I rerolled my laptop (HP Omnibook, 633 mhz, 256 RAM) and it went well. While I have not played with it much, it appears that it is running just fine without any major hitches. Even the touch pad appears to operate more smoothly than in the past.

I got up late this morning but was still able to get to work on time. I did have to cut a lot of corners (no coffee/wake up time, no bible reading, and I did not wash the few dishes from last night) but I made it. I am sure I will be able to get caught up by days end. I drank a sugar free "Full Throttle" energy drink in lieu of coffee and am using my slower morning at work to catch up on mail and blogging. I will do my bible reading in a few...once I am awake.

Mickey comes over tonight for lesson 6 of our 1 to 1 Discipling. We had to skip a couple of weeks but we will be back in full swing and hopefully will conclude by Thanksgiving. He has worked hard at doing this although I fear he is doing it with the wrong motives. he made a comment at church Sunday about wanting to complete this so he could "free up more time". I am not sure what that means but I have the feeling (and I hope I am wrong) that he plans to work out at the gym even more.

Not that working out is bad. Lord knows I need to do something. My "spare tire" is beginning to be more of a full size than a donut. I am up to 190 and at 5' 11" (even with my thicker upper body) I have too much of a gut. At least I am eating better...now to increase my cardio a notch or two. My wife has helped by dragging me out of the house to walk a brisk paced 2 miles with the dogs the past 2 evenings. I really need to join the Rec Center across the street and I need to get motivated to use it. Last time I joined it...I lost interest quickly.

Yesterday "Stefan" asked me to help him with a few tasks once he gets them all sorted out. I think it is just a few calls to some Acct Mgrs regarding some old open issues...you know, time consuming but not hard. I guess it is practice for when I have to talk to them more frequently.

The whole time change thing, "Spring forward, Fall back" has been messed up this go around. Not only have I been sleeping MORE (Read: over sleeping), some of the clocks in our home have been acting wonky. First, our cell phones (which are set to "auto update") did not change back and then MS Windows XP on my home machine did not auto change, even though it is set. As a matter of fact, it changed back 2 hours instead of 1. No, my time zone is not set wrong. When I did the atomic clock update, it became accurate.

Then comes my PDA. While it did change back one hour like it should, the alarm will periodically refuse to go off when it should...like today. I do not think it is a Palm issue, since the alarm is a third party app called "Watch Maker". I really like the program a lot, except for that bug. It happens once-twice a month...usually on a Monday or Tuesday.

Walking with my wife last night made me realize how much I dislike living in the suburbs. No, I am not jonesing to move to the city...no I want to get out of the city but I am not sure Texas is where I want to be living the "country life". My wife is just the opposite. She likes short visits to the country, but she is Miss Suburbia, or if she had the chance, Beach Chick. The beach is OK, but it is always crowded with tourists. When I go to the beach, I do not want to be a tourist. I want to blend in, relax, and enjoy myself. I much prefer the mountains over the beach. I guess when you are born in the mountains, it is always in your blood. Give me a small town (less than 20K), a house on 1+ acre of land, a broadband connection and my truck. I would be happy.

I voted yesterday which is something that I have been taking very seriously the past 6 years. I never used to even consider it, but right before we moved from NC, something happened and now I desire to keep informed.

Talk about a change for me. El Gee into politics.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Watch Maker". I really like the program a lot, except for that bug. It happens once-twice a month...usually on a Monday or Tuesday.

Why not tell the developer you
found a bug?

Enos Straitt said...

Well, I would but he does not have any contact info that I could find.

Anonymous said...

What a pain. Sorry for the money you spent on that.
Did you ever tried Palmary Clock? Seems to run pretty accurate.

Enos Straitt said...

I did not pay for it. It is freeware from www.freewarepalm.com