Thursday, October 05, 2006

Countdown T Minus 22 hours

I hit the road in 22 hours and I have still not packed anything. I have been very busy most every night (Monday I worked out, Tuesday was One to One Discipling, and last night was care group) and very tired by the time I got done with that evenings activity. I need to go work out tonight, stop by the store, go to the bank, gas up the vehicle and pack everything up. At least work is mostly squared away in regards to my vacation. I only have a few small things to take care of before I leave today.

My beautiful wife slipped in the bathtub yesterday. She tried calling me but I was in meetings a big part of the day. She went to the doctor to because she thought she broke her foot, but the x-rays did not show any problems...THANK YOU JESUS! She was sore the rest of the evening and I had to wait on her hand and foot (no pun intended) but she can at least walk on it today. She will be sore for some time.

Work has been chaotic to put it mildly. I have been trying to keep up with my regular job (which I am supposed to be transitioning to KL) and project work as well as trying to get some training for my new role that I will start in mid October. Normally this would not be bad, but my TL was under the impression that I would be working part time for him and part time for my new TL. When I told him that I did not think that would be possible because of so many loose ends, he said that our manager thought I could handle it. Well, that prompted an improptu meeting with me and my manager. I was polite, but firm regarding my current and future duties. There were a few items that were going to cause problems regarding the work force reductions. The biggest part of those problems were job functions that were left after the people have been let go. The person I am replacing was doing a hodge podge of jobs, much of which were not documented and should not be done anyone left in the US. The group I am going to is strictly and issue management group (escalations, problems, and incidents) and will not be a tech group. I do several "small" tasks that tend to eat up my day and the new group I will be working in is very focused on the tasks they do and cannot add more distractions to their day. My boss has agreed to keep me and my new group from performing these functions.

When I got into work this morning, I had quite a surprise when I opened up the ticketing system. We had 378 new tickets come in overnight...none of which were ours. They were all account adds/removes/changes and this account maintenance is now performed by our colleagues in Malaysia. Bon appetit!

I hope to make some updates to my blog while I am gone, but I cannot guarantee that I will be able to. If I can, I will bring you some items of interest as well as some photos. If not, you will just have to wait until I return.

No comments: