Friday, October 27, 2006

DNS Issues?

We have Time-Warner Cable/Internet (although is still is using the Comcast infrastructure. Comcast traded areas with TWC when Adelphia was bought out/went Tango Uniform) and we have been having periodic issues with internet connectivity. Most recently last night and this morning. I am pretty sure it was DNS because downloads via IP were working great but no web pages or nslookups worked. It is a shame to pay premium dollar for substandard performance. I know that normally the service is acceptable, but we needed (wanted?) to check e-mail. get some directions, and do some other things but that was not possible. At first I thought it was my FTP downloads hogging the pipe, but I paused them and the problem persisted. Reboots of the cable modem, router, and PC's did not fix it. Not that I expected it to. The Linux server was doing just fine via IP...

Figures.

I read this morning that the full blown version of Windows Vista will cost more than $500. While they will offer a less expensive version, it has so fwe features even Grandma will frown on it. Why must MS try to hurt us so badly? Don't they realize they already have a very tight grip on the PC market? Don't they realize that this only makes people more willing to use Linux or go to Apple for their computing needs?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, TW's DNS servers can be pretty flaky sometimes. I usually have my router (which then tells my DHCP clients the same) set to use non-TW DNS servers, and things are much more stable than they used to be.