Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Maybe I Should Have Complained...

I just read this article and I must say I am disappointed with Rose Rock, mother of comedian Chris Rock. Why must everything be "racial"?

The article states that she was "ignored" for 30 minutes while in a Cracker Barrel in Murells Inlet, SC (which is a great little town to eat in by the way). She also states that the manager offered her a free meal but she did not want to eat it (why?). Rock said the manager did not inquire (in her presence, I assume) with the waitresses why she was ignored, that he only offered a free meal.

I eat at Cracker Barrel every quite often when I travel. Since it is a chain, I know what to expect in regards to food quality and price, so usually there are no surprises. I have, in the 12+ years of eating there, only one bad experience. I did not consider race but since Rose Rock thinks it is an issue, maybe I should as well.

My wife and I were traveling (I think we were in Virginia, either Williamsburg or Richmond) and stopped at a Cracker Barrel for a substantial meal. We were both starved and were seated rather quickly. Right after we were seated, a family of 6 or so were seated next to us. Our waiter got our drink order and brought out the bread basket, but did not come back to get our order for 20+ minutes. He spent a large part of his time with the family that was seated near us.

The restaurant was not overly busy, so being ignored for 20+ minutes was pretty odd. We eventually got the attention of our waiter who took our order and offered to bring out more drinks. By the time we got our order, part of mine was cold and they drowned my wife's pot roast and mashed potatoes in gravy (she takes her gravy on the side). When the waiter was confronted about it, he had an attitude and it bothered me, but our meals were comped by the manager and HE DID NOT confront the waiter in a negative way in front of us.

Since Rose Rock thinks her issue is racial, then maybe ours was as well. The waiter and the family he favored over us (they got their meals much faster than we did and we were there first) were black. We are white. I do not think it was racially motivated, but I *could* if I wanted to play the race card.

The article also states Rev. Al Sharpton is getting involved. Sigh.

Maybe I should also complain about the name of the place, too. Think about it.

No comments: