Monday, October 16, 2006

Back To Work

Coming in to the office today was a mixture of joy and sorrow. I put my laptop in the docking station and turned it on. While it was booting up I put my lunch in the breakroom fridge and grabbed a bottle of water to nurse during the morning. I logged on to the PC and let the scripts run while I checked my Sun station and my Linux box. On my Sun workstation, I stay logged into the NIS master since we do all our administration from there, but I noticed that I had been disconnected from that server. I checked the uptime on the NIS server and my workstation and saw that both had been up near 100 days, so I guessed that we lost network connectivity.

My Linux box only had an uptime of two days, so we must have had a power outage. It is not plugged in to a UPS, so if it can die if the building loses power. I had at first thought someone turned it off, but if that was the case they would have turned off the Sun box as well. I knew that someone had been in my office because an envelope was sitting on my desk with a hard copy of the Business Ethics guide in it. Ironic since it is the board of directors that seem to have that problem.

Work was busy, as I expected and it took me all morning to get caught up with e-mail and a few various things that needed my attention. Once that was all done, I had lunch and began training for my new job. This new role is going to be very interesting. I have never seen so much documenting of issues and micro-managing in my life. While the function is important, the attention to detail in overwhelming.

I got home and had dinner while watching episode 3 of Battlestar Galactica. I started watching "Escape from New York, but got sleepy and went to bed. I had planned on working out but my workout partner's wife was not feeling well so we had to cancel.

Tomorrow I have One to One Discipling and Wednesday I have church care groups. I hope to work on the yard Thursday. It needs trimming badly!

No comments: