Thursday, October 26, 2006

Positive

I will try to put a positive spin on my work. I have been put in a new role that is all about micromanaging processes and being available 24x7. I have read all the documentation and would be ready to handle a regional Escalation, but none have been raised. The Global Esc Team will not give me one to handle until I have handled a regional one. Regional ones are not very common, so this is a slow start. Needless to say that work has been a bit uneventful. You can only read so much documentation before you go crackers.

Since I have taken on a new role and our building has 1/3 fewer people, I changed offices. I took over the old Esc Mgr's office and began moving yesterday after lunch. Not only moving, but cleaning as well. While I liked the old Esc Mgr, he was (is?) a packrat and the office had about 100lbs of e-mails and notes that needed to be securely disposed of (read shredded). I got all my stuff moved in (I had very little outside the 2 PC's currently I am using) and began to move out his junk and also dust. While the office is in a good location it has a few bad points. Let me start with the good:

Good:
* It has a window and the mobile coverage is great here.
* I am not sharing it with anyone.
* I will be busy cleaning and setting up for a couple of days.
* Further from my boss :-)

Bad:
* I am right next (2 doors down) to the Account Mgr who can be "demanding".
* The room is very dusty and has a ton of things to move out.
* The desk (while visually appealing) is not overly stable. Getting a new one will take an act of Congress.

While cleaning yesterday (I still have a lot to go), I found several (personal) things that looked like they belonged to the the former EM, so I boxed them up and called him. He wants to pick them up so I will arrange security to handle the transaction.

I was able to get a large trash can so I could put all the junk in it and not have to make multiple trips. I do have a lot to clean!

I am not the only one moving. Many of my colleagues are moving to offices that have better mobile reception. Lars and Pete are both moving up front and the Windows guys are considering the same.

No comments: