Thursday, May 31, 2007

Giving The Dog A Bone

Well, the Swede called in sick again yesterday, which put a mild crimp in training. Trying to keep up with the old job while trying to learn the new one is a bit inconvenient and since my mobile phone does not pick up in the Inc Mgmt office, I tend to miss calls (which is not good if you are to be available 24x7). I ended up spending about 25% of my time in the IM office and the rest in mine. The TL of the IM group is OK with moving to an outer office so I can get better reception (he has good reception anywhere in this building with Sprint...me and my wife use Cingular/AT&T), so we are looking for either two offices next to each other or a big office we can share. The problem is that neither is available that I can tell. I guess I will just have to rough it or make the company spring for a Sprint phone for work...something they normally do not do.

It was generally slow incident wise, but the other part of my old job was rather steady. It slowed down in the afternoon so I was able to finish some company mandated online training. I still have about 6-8 hours left but I can squeeze that in a little at a time...maybe an hour a day.

Part of my day went to an employee webcast outlining the state of our business unit. Things overall (company wide) are good, but we are still operating at a loss in my division. Cuts are coming. They are going to do some realigning of people to areas where there are open req's, but if that fails...layoffs are coming. My guess is that we will see news in September. Nothing ever changes.

I got home to find my wife doing about 12 things at once...imagine that. Since I normally do not know how to keep my mouth shut in situations like this, I decided to try keeping silent for a change. For the most part it worked, but we did not get done with cooking, eating dinner, and cleanup until almost 8:00 PM...3 hours after I got home. Of course that was not the end of it...my wife wanted to take all three dogs (and me) on a two mile walk, since the weather was nice (it had stopped raining and the clouds had moved off...mostly). Walking all three dogs (it is amazing how they feed off each others bad behavior) was a real chore and it took us just under 60 minutes to walk two miles. The dog we are pet sitting is very spirited and while by herself she is only a minor irritation, adding two other normally mellow dogs to the mix can be fun.

By 9:00 PM we were back home...tired. We watched some MMA (mixed martial arts) and then hit they hay...both of us were tired. I stayed up to watch it all while she zonked out at about 10:30 PM.

The alarm went off and at first I did not know what it was. I finally got it turned off and grabbed Little Man for his morning walk. I made a trip around the block with him and when I returned, my wife was up and she handed me Jazzie. Not being 100% awake and trying to walk her is a challenge. I was not going to walk her, but simply put her in the back yard for a couple of hours, since it had dried up some, but my wife had other plans.

When I returned from the short walk with Jazzie, I found my wife had set my coffee implements out for me She has not learned the art of brewing coffee the way I like it so I prefer to do that myself. I forgot to thank her for setting it out...I need to do that when I get home...maybe a small bouquet of wild flowers will help ;) .

My wife, while rested has been stressed over things at church. She volunteered to coordinate serving the "tweenagers" their meal on Friday nights a few months ago. At first it was okay, but now that the group now includes the teens as well as the tweens, there are a lot of people to serve. She has had a great deal of trouble finding help and it is beginning to drain her.

When my wife got done with her laundry list of items this morning, she fired up her laptop to check e-mail. She headed over to the bank's web site to check on a few things and was very surprised at our balance. I told her that we had about $300+ more expenses than I had budgeted for (and the cost of gasoline does not help our bottom line) and our buffer is very, very low. I told her I was very thankful that we both got paid today since the mortgage already came out BEFORE my check went in (hence the very low balance this morning). She was not happy and asked me why some bills were paid early. I told her that our bank has been a bit hit and miss when it comes to the payments going out checks they write and I was worried about the payments being late. She reminded me that the house has a 10 day grace period for payments...something that gets used too much in our case. I am trying not to worry, knowing that God provides for those who are faithful, but sometimes logic kicks in and pushes faith to the side...not a good thing.

No comments: