Sunday, May 27, 2007

Maybe A Real Day Off?

Monday is a company holiday for our customer as well as us, at least in the US. My colleagues in Canada and Latin America will be working, as will as the Europeans. I am never really "off" but I am only going to be available via the hot line tomorrow, unless something drastic comes up.

Yesterday afternoon/evening was non-eventful, for which I was very grateful. After my wife got home we did little more than eat dinner which I made (penne pasta with a tomato cream herb sauce and crawfish...sort of Creole-Italian...not bad, really. I even cleaned up my mess, much to my wife's surprise) and watch TV. We watched Discovery until my wife fell asleep and then I patiently waited for IFL Battleground to come on. I watched it up until the ring girl competition, then I turned it off. In my bad old BC days (Before Christ), I would have watched, but now I just ignore it.

This morning when I got up I was very sore...mostly from laying on the floor while I was watching TV. After about an hour of moving around, I felt better, but far from perfect. I completed my normal Sunday routine and headed to church to teach my first Sunday School lesson in several months. I felt prepared but soon realized that I was not the ready...I felt a little intimidated because several people in the class are real experts and I have so little working knowledge that I found myself stumbling over words and ran out of material before I ran out of time. I hope that I can do a better job next week.

After service my wife and I went to grab a quick bite to eat. I did not really care where we went so I made a few suggestions until my wife said, "Okay". Shew decided she wanted a salad from Burger King and I set my mind on a fish sandwich. The meal was edible but I would have preferred Wendy's. No worries...as long as my wife is happy.

Towards the end of the meal the Swede called. I could not understand him at first but eventually I deciphered what he wanted. He was calling me to get the phone number of a former colleague we both worked with. He has not spoken to "Yvette" in quite some time...I am sure she will be surprised to hear from him.

We got home and decided on a nap, a Sunday tradition at our home. After the nap I called mom and walked Little Man. As usual, he did not want to use the bathroom, but before we reached the end of our walk, he finally did a #1.

After my walk, I had some leftovers and some fresh pineapple. A big glass of green tea washed it all down and my wife and I watched a little Discovery (Man Vs Wild) until I got tired of sitting in the living room watching the idiot box. I excused myself and grabbed the laptop to browse a few news web sites and update my blog.

I had a bad feeling today that Dakboy would be correct in his prediction about my work situation. The Swede is either going to fail, or he is going to do something else to cause me to have to try to do both jobs. While I initially dismissed the comment from Dak, my gut tells me that he more than likely will be right. The Swede has issues and I am sure they will bleed over into his new role when he officially takes it on. I will not try to concentrate on it and let it consume me, but I am going to keep my ears and eyes open.

No comments: