Thursday, May 24, 2007

Well, Now For Something Completely Different

Well, it looks like I will not be working on my sliding patio door tonight...a storm is heading this way. I guess I will just have to wait until next week.

Work has been interesting...my colleague never did show up at the office, opting instead to work from home. Several issues occurred at once, none of them super critical, but the total volume of them caused him to panic...enough so that my boss and his boss asked me to help him. I still have not been trained on the processes, and there are a lot of them...lots of little processes the global team expects to be followed 100% of the time.

I started working on one issue, which quickly multiplied into two. The second one required a degree of research and after finding my answer, I moved on. All of this ate into my lunch hour (no pun intended), so I took a shorter one when I was caught up. When I got back, I noticed that my colleague had taken care of the issues and had them all closed out or at least in a monitoring status by early afternoon. Things were back to normal. The cases were beginning to drop off of the "threat board" until only 10 remained...several older ones that were in monitoring status and a few newer ones the same way. Nothing appeared to be a show stopper.

Just a few minutes ago I checked the board again and a couple new cases were there (one global one, one for Sweden) but they did not look too bad, at least not at this hour. One was an SQL database that is not responding and the other is for exchange servers in Sweden. Since it is not Swedish office hours, the need for e-mail is a lot less. That will all change in a few hours though. Hopefully the techs will get it taken care of before the issue gets ugly.

The skies are now black and it is thundering outside. I am sure the dogs (at home) are not happy and if it storms too hard, we will lose our broadband connection. That in and of itself is not bad, but when I am supposed to be available 24 x 7, it can mean the difference between working at the office at nine at night or from my house. The office is a lonely place at night.

No comments: