Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Long Day Comin'

Ever since we came back from vacation, we have been running on all eight cylinders. Yesterday after non-eventful day at work I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things. My wife had her women's bible study and had at least one yard to mow.

I got home and let the dogs out (The Golden can be let out on her own now without being tethered to one of us now that her leg has healed from the ACL surgery she had in early spring), watered and fed them, and ate the deli sandwich I picked up for dinner. The fridge was bare (my wife and I were both very busy the past few days) so a sandwich was the best choice. While doing all that, my mobile phone rang. I did not look at the number, only the name on the caller ID. I saw that it was someone's mobile, so I answered it. It was a customer of mine who I do work for on the side. He is a nice guy, but a bit eccentric (I was at his condo when my van was broken into at Christmas time...I have not been back to his place since) and doing work for him takes a special degree of patience. He just wanted to touch base and tell me that his PC is still running smoothly (which is should as long as he continues to use good common sense) and wanted me to download a few things for him to burn to CD (he only has dial-up). I asked him to follow up the call with an e-mail so I would not forget and he said that he would. With that, I said goodbye and hung up.

I changed into grass cutting clothes (loose fitting shorts, old t-shirt, old tennis shoes, old baseball cap) and got my grass cutting gear (mower, gas, lawn bags, trimmer, edger, blower, and a half gallon of Gatorade) together to start on my neighbors grass. As expected, it was high...I prolly cut down six inches in most places and eight inches in others. Just doing her yard alone took two hours and 3.5 lawn bags. Since I had a little daylight and 1/2 a bag to fill, I decided to cut our small backyard as well. At least we would not lose the dog in the jungle that our yard had become. I finished just as it was getting too dark to see...around 8:15 PM or so. Since my wife was not yet home, I decided to walk the dogs (yes, BOTH of them) before I got cleaned up. I was pretty hot and sweaty and managed to drink 90% of my Gatorade in the two and a half hours of cutting.

Once I got back I jumped in the shower and scrubbed the crud off of me and then went into the office to pay some bills online and finish entering in the vacation receipts into AceMoney. I had just finished that (as well as updating patches for Windows...joy) when my wife pulled in. It was almost 10:00 PM and we decided to watch the Law and Order that was recorded yesterday that we did not get a chance to watch. After that was over we watched the Law and Order that was recorded that evening and then dragged ourselves to bed...bone tired.

I got up at 5:00 AM, the usual El Gee start time and grabbed Little Man for his morning walk. After we came back I went through my normal ritual and headed on into work. A quick check of the threat board showed no issues to worry about yet, so I started running and compiling my reports and dispatched the tickets that came in overnight.

I got to thinking about how busy this week has been so far and how busy it will be the rest of the way out. We have Care Group tonight, I have to finish mowing our lawn tomorrow, Friday looks clear, but Saturday I think is the Men's Breakfast at church and I need to give the house a good vacuuming since it has been almost two weeks since it was done last. Sunday is of course church and our day of rest (which we will really need by then. I just hope I do not get called for anything at work this weekend. I will need that day to recoup.

My wife has been trying to get the laundry caught up and she will want to go to the grocery store to stock up on all the things we have run out of. She also works two days a week so on those days she cannot do the things around the house she wants to do and that can cause her some stress as well.

Maybe this should have been entitled, "Long Week Comin' "

No comments: