Friday, April 21, 2006

The Water Gets Muddier...

Every day, more and more info is made public about the alleged rape of an NCSU stripper by 3 Duke lacrosse players. Kim Roberts (AKA the second stripper) has spoken with the Associated Press in Raleigh, telling her side of the story. Some of the more memorable quotes:

"I was not in the bathroom when it happened, so I can't say a rape occurred and I never will."

"In all honesty, I think they're guilty. And I can't say which ones are guilty Â… but somebody did something besides underage drinking. That's my honest-to-God impression." Her impression, but not a fact that has been proven. My "impression" is that both these women are making this up, but that is not a proven fact, either.

"If the boys are innocent, sorry fellas," she said. "Sorry you had to go through this."

And from a letter to a public relations company -- "I've (Roberts) found myself in the center of one of the biggest stories in the country. I'm worried about letting this opportunity pass me by without making the best of it and was wondering if you had any advice as to how to spin this to my advantage."

"Why shouldn't I profit from it?" (This comment is in response to her past being made public. I hate to burst your bubble, but this was public knowledge in 2001, when you were convicted)

Something interesting. Eight days after the party, Roberts was arrested for a probation violation stemming from a 2001 conviction for embezzling $25,000 from a photofinishing company. Odd she she should wish to come out now...can we say "plea bargain"?

These are not all the comments, but they really do not put her in a good light and she is the one who put herself there. If there is any backlash towards her, she brought it on herself. The same is true if the males who were arrested for this are guilty. If they did the crime, then they should do the time. If the females are guilty, then I suspect that we have a lawsuit on our hands.


Comments are from the AP interview and published by ABC News.

No comments: