Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Many More Will Be Sold

So. Apple has released a patch to allow Mac users who own a valid license for Windows to install Windows on the Intel version of the Macintosh computer. This does not surprise me much. Think of how many more Macs they can sell to geeks who want to play with a Mac, but are on a budget and would prefer Windows. I know plenty of geeks who would love to get their hands on a Mac but refuse to pay for the expensive hardware. Some went out and bought a Mac Mini, because it is a pretty good deal and they can KVM into it and really have a lot of fun. Also, there are a lot of Mac users who need PC, but do not want to have to buy a new one. They can now dual-boot into MacOS or Windows from the same machine.

This MAY be the start of something. If we could get Linux and the hardware vendors to do this...

While it has its appeal, I really do not like dual booting. Yes, I can have the best of both worlds, but since my wife and I share a PC, I have to reboot (instead of log off) whenever one of us wants to use the PC. I refuse to use Windows at home and she refuses to use Linux (although she said if she could learn it easily enough, she would try). I did create her an account on the Linux box just in case...

No, I would prefer to use two machines with one KVM switch. That way I could just key back and fourth to the machine I need at the moment. I have a low-end server I do this with, but it is too under powered to be my primary machine.

Now getting back to Apple, I am wondering if this will keep them from releasing MacOS that will run on regular x86 hardware. I have been told the big stumbling block right now has to do with the BIOS. Macs do not have a BIOS from what I have heard, but I am not 100% sure. I guess it does not matter. They now have a way to run Windows and MacOS on the same piece of hardware without virtual machines, so that most likely be good enough. I may just have to get me a Mac now ;)

No comments: