Sunday, April 16, 2006

Not Much Better, Celebration Saturday, News From Our Son.

I have been taking Naproxen for about 2 weeks or so under the advice of my family doctor. It had reduced the inflammation and pain immensely. I was to take this the entire I time I was going to physical therapy, but I have had trouble finding one that would take my insurance. One PT has been found and I am going to make an appointment Monday (providing my doc faxed the script over to him...). Since I was feeling well, I decided to try going without the meds and see how I felt. Three days later, I felt like crap again, waking up stiff and sore and unable to move well at all, even with the TENS device. Needless to say, I am back on the meds. I need to call my family doc back and get him to renew my scripts for a couple of months. Better living through chemistry? I wish it was not so. Anyone who really knows me I avoid meds until the pain is extreme. Male machismo, I guess. The TENS device works pretty well, but it is very inconvenient. I guess the electrodes are getting beyond using since they "travel" up my back when in use. They are reusable (10-15 times) but after 7 times they do not appear to stick well.

The TENS unit is expensive. The monthly cost is $100 and the monthly supplies (batteries and electrodes) is over $200. Yesshh! I am hoping the insurance covers a big part of it. If not then I may be in trouble. I know I need to call the company that provides the unit and tell them not to send some of the supplies. They are not needed. They are also charging way to much for batteries ($2 per battery).

Saturday was our annual "Celebration Saturday" at church. It is a big party held for the community on our humble church grounds. Last year it had to be held inside since the weather was cold and rainy. This year it was HOT and windy. I got burned a little (I was in the sun running the horse show pit for 6 hours) but I had a good time. I say a few faces I had not seen before, but mostly it was church family.

Food was provided by Chick-Fil-A and there was home made ice cream provided by various families. There was a DJ and a large assortment of things to do for the kids. It appeared that everyone had a great time, despite the 20-40 mph winds (which caused a few tents to be blown over and really wrecked havoc on the horse shoe pitching. I still managed to be on all the winning teams (4 games with no losses for my team), even though I was pitching against the wind half the time.

We finally received word from our son as I mentioned in an earlier entry. He celebrated his first messianic Jewish "Easter" yesterday. While he was raised Christian, he has been exploring the MJ faith. I applaud his open mind. He has been keeping busy and will continue to do so until he ships out for AIT on Thursday night. He is going to try to come over today if he has time. I hope he does ... I miss my boy.

I have been contemplating on what to do with my web site (mistergeek.com) since I am not the same person I was a couple of years ago. I have been trying to give myself as much Christian covering as possible, but I do not want to turn away those I keep in touch with who may not share my beliefs but still check out the site. I am still a geek, but not as much stereotypical as I once was. I think I need to honor my Lord a bit more than I am doing. It will require a lot of time and energy on my part and I will still link some of stuff I link today, but it will be with a disclaimer. I do not want my BiC's and SiC's (Brothers and Sisters in Christ) to get the wrong impression. I am a new creation as of 3 years ago and I want it to show.

Well, time to clean up and get to church.

No comments: