Friday, April 21, 2006

Stretching Things a Bit...

Literally! I had my second visit with the Physical Therapist today. It was not as long nor was it as strenuous as the first visit, but I can tell it is helping some. He gave me some homework to do (stretches twice a day) and I have been doing them, although some of them hurt my left lower back (The one-legged bridges come to mind). I was able to touch my toes last night for the first time in years, but this morning I was not. I tend to stiffen up overnight. I stretched this morning and can ALMOST touch them, but I am sure by the end of the day and after my second set of stretches, I will make it. Sucks being middle age and out of shape.

The PT is a great guy. He is a Christian and has a great demeanor. He had back surgery 1-2 years ago and just finished an Ironman Triatholon. Needless to say, I was impressed. He thinks a big part of my pain is from swell of my sacrum area, so he has asked me to stay on anti-flammitory meds until they are gone, then start on the Aleve.

He gave me some advice on the martial arts. He told me to hold off on the kicking for several weeks. He wants to give the area time to heal properly, then I can get into the kicks. The punches and the horse stance is fine, but no leg work. OK, I will follow his instructions.

It has been raining the past few days and cooler than it was the previous week. We really needed the rain...the ground was beginning to crack in places. I had turned on the sprinkler system the week before, but now it will not be needed until next week. We have a rain sensor on ours, so that helps. My neighbor, the one that I mow grass for, does not have a sensor, so it could be pouring down the rain and her sprinklers would still be running. Shame.

My mango plant is still doing well, but it has not grown much. It has grown about 1/4 of an inch and has 3 new leaves forming. I made the mistake of leaving it outside when the heavy rain came yesterday, but I think the plant enjoyed it. I brought it in for today, but I will take it out tomorrow. It is supposed to be nice the next few days.

No comments: