Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Some Things I Have Learned

"Every day is a new day, I am thankful for every breath I take", is the opening lines to P.O.D.'s "Alive" and it reflects my appreciation that God has granted me another day to enjoy his creation. I know a lot of people who do not share my enthusiasm. They are searching and are actually surprised to realize they are still alive.

I have been on this ball of rock for almost 41 years. God has seen fit to move me a couple of times (to NC in 1989 and Texas in 2001) after living in my home state of WV since 1965. I have been blessed to see many things, both wonderful and fascinating during that time. I have seen the sun rise over the Atlantic ocean and set in the Chihuahua Desert. I have witnessed the wild destructive power of hurricanes and the soft beauty of newly fallen snow in an undisturbed forest. The thing I have learned from this is that God is in control and our troubles are minor in the grand scheme of things. He is a grand artist and a frustrated parent. The earth is his sandbox.

  • No matter how far we *think* we have come in our lives, you are never too far up the food chain / ladder to be knocked down a peg...or three. God is good at that.
  • I have learned that bullies exist everywhere and that once you dig into their minds you will find that they are hurt little people trying to be big people. They are full of bluster and little substance.
  • Standing up to a bully is the quickest and easiest way to get them to leave you alone. However, a lot can be said for just staying away from where they hang their hat.
  • Some people will take *anything* you say or write and twist it to mean what they want it to mean.
  • Sometimes it takes more than 2 seasons before a television show becomes good, but others struggle to reach that point.
  • DVD's are the best way to catch up on entire seasons of shows you missed.
  • Alone time is not utilized enough.
  • Agape love has no substitute.
  • I love the sound of an electric guitar.
  • Sometimes strangers reach out and share things that they really do not have to, but you are glad they did. Thank you, Dakboy.
  • I will never be good at carpentry or plumbing.
  • I can fit in almost everywhere as long as people are willing to let their guard down and let me be 'me'.
  • I am not a morning person until I have had 2 cups of coffee and taken a walk with my dogs.
  • My wife and I are complete opposites and I would not have it any other way.
  • Women are much more devious than men (this has nothing to do with the above).
  • I have only had a female as a direct supervisor a couple of times in my life (my first job and my first corporate job).
  • While people on the 'Net are entertaining, they are rarely who they seem to be.
  • The Internet is a fascinating environment and I have trouble remembering my life without it.
  • Texan's have more state pride than any other people (geographically speaking) than anyone I know, with the possible exception of native West Virginians.
  • Once you leave, it is very hard to go back and feel "at home".
  • I get more work done in an office that is 95% men but I have less 'social' interactions there.
  • Coffee tastes better when it is brewed strong and served with a flavored creamer just to cut the bitter edge some.
  • Ice cream will lighten my mood...when used in moderation.
  • Medications are vastly over prescribed.

No comments: