Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Odd Comcast Problem

Yesterday in bewteen tasks, I noticed the connection to Comcast was down. I powered off the router, powered off the cable modem and then restarted the modem (letting it get fully online) and powered up the router. No internet connection. I (on a whim) disconnected the router and had connectivity, so I reset the router, then I noticed the "flashing lights of doom" on the router. I Googled and found that this most likely is a firmware flash that has gone bad..but I did not even try to flash the firmware, even though a new one was available.

Ok , then my 6 month old router toast, so I pull out my spare. I hook it up and I get similar responses. I could not even log on to the router to set it up. I powered everything down and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Then I started the boot-up process again. It still failed. I rebooted the PC into the Linux partition, and it had connectivity via the old router. I rebooted into Windows and it failed to connect. I powered it all down and waited 30 more minutes.

After a 20-30 minute wait, I powered everying thing up in the proper order (like I had been doing) and booted into Windows. Success. Now to see if I could get the Linksys WRT54G router running. No dice...just flashing lights. I cannot even telnet to it to try a flash recovery. Back to Fry's I go to see if I can get a warranty replacement.

While I was Googling I noticed many people with the same issues. Some say that Comcast , who is in bed with Linksys, is trying to keep you from running you own home network. Who knows? All I know is that my router dying and a Comcast upgrade all came at the same time. Not likely Comcast will admit this has cause my problem...

No comments: