Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Funny Fourth

We received a call late yesterday morning inviting us to come over for a bar-b-que at James and Collette's house. It was nice since we had no plans and were just going to BBQ some chicken we had in the fridge that I had already rubbed down. My wife was touching up some painting and I was geeking out, trying to get geekbox back to normal (which I did...more later).

It was clouding up and I knew a storm was on the way, but we did not let that "dampen" our spirits. It was Independence Day in the US, and we were ready to celebrate 230 years of God given freedom. We arrived just as the rain was beginning to fall and I quickly put the chick we brought on the grill. James had already cooked some chicken and had a brisket in the oven slow cooking. All he needed to do was sauce it up and toss it on the grill to carmelize.

When my chicken and the brisket was done, we all went back in and blessed the food and dug in. It was definitely a carnivore's table with hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken (two kinds) and brisket. There was a tossed salad and potato salad as well as some fruit and non-alcoholic beverages (one of the guests is a recovering alcoholic...we needed to respect that), but meat was the theme.

We sat and ate and cracked jokes for a couple of hours and Collette's daughter Sandra decided to make us dessert...strawberry shortcake. I am not sure what she used, but they turned out like softer scones and were just mildly sweet. However, with berries and cream on top, they were great.

The event was full of laughter...much more than I had seen at many events. The mix of people was good. In small groups where I know *most* everyone, I tend to cut up (cleanly, of course) and my wife usually has to tell me to cut it out. Last night, we laughed so hard, we had tears running out of our eyes.

The highlight of the evening was game of "chubby bunny". If you have not played this (with adults), you are missing a hilarious time. I realize it can be a tad dangerous, but we were careful. No one got beyond 6 marshmallows.

We left before 9 pm (we arrived at 4 pm) so the hosts could have the rest of the evening to be alone. After I got home, I walked little man and was able to see many wonderful fireworks displays. The rain helped keep the ground from being a tinderbox. I have no idea how much rain we got, but it prolly was not much over.

Still, it helped.

No comments: