Monday, July 17, 2006

Heat / Yummy / Kroger

It has been over 100 degrees (the highest being 103...that will change today, I am sure) every day now for the past 6 days and it is forecasted to be over 100 for the next 3. The A/C runs almost all day once the sun reaches its zenith, and our electricity bill is going to be outrageous next month. My wife and I have been fighting over the thermostat (I want it at 78, she wants it at 76) and she is winning the battle, but she has said that she is willing to go to 77. When I get home, I am changing it. We have adjusted it so it does not kick on as much at night and we have turn up the speed of the ceiling fan to give the illusion of cool in our bedroom. In the rest of the house the fans are set to low.

I guess I need to clarify something. 103 is not unbearable IF there is some shade, but the area of texas wee live in has very little of that. The sun just beats down on you or your house...frying both. If there were some trees to help shade the house some, then it would not bee so bad, but the sun pounds the house from 10 AM until 8 PM without any mercy. Also, most of these homes are brick, and that absorbs heat..so the house is essentially a brick oven.

It also has not rained in 12 days, although there is a 30% chance of showers today. We have only received 1.12 inches of rain since June 1 (that is as far back as I can find at weather.com) and June was a bad month...getting only 1/20th of the rain we normally get in that month. So far we are at about 1/3 of what we normally get for July. July has been wetter than June, but also hotter.

The whole country is in bad shape regarding weather.

I think I have a brand new favorite snack food. General Mills Caribou Coffee granola bars. They are very tasty. We picked up the Chocolate Mocha flavored ones (they were on sale) and I fell in love with them at first bite.

Speaking of yummies...I am now addicted to Fuze beverages. Not only are they tasty, they are good for you...chocked full of vitamins! Kroger has them on sale 10 for $10. I think the sale runs out today.

Kroger's is really beginning to irritate me. We have a Kroger "card" which is what is used to get discounted prices on sale items, but half the time when the card scans, it does not calculate the discount, causing us to lose our rebates on gas (buy $100 worth of groceries and get 10 cents off each gallon). This has happened on several occasions. We have also have missed getting free sandwiches because of this (buy 6 get the seventh free) and I have to pay special attention to the register when I check out to make sure we get all the discounts we are entitled. Now they are very nice about refunding the amount that should have been given, but the time and trouble make me a bit frustrated. Bad Kroger.

No comments: