Sunday, July 16, 2006

A Good Marriage, Part 2 / Send Them Packing

My wife and I went back to South Lake for part two of the seminar Saturday morning. Since we knew where it was, getting there was much easier. We only made one turn and I realized that I told my wife to exit too soon almost immediately. We made it there in plenty of time.

Jimmy and his wife held four sessions in three hours and the pace went well. They covered a lot of things that to many Christian's should know, but many fail to practice. To many non-Christian's the concepts may appear a bit old fashioned, but both my wife and I are determined to use them in our marriage. They do work when applied, but both parties have to do their part and do them correctly.

Every coupled received 2 free gifts for attending. One was a DVD of one of their broadcasts and the other was a marriage "vision" planner. The entire event was filmed so it is possible (although not likely) that I could be on TV at some point.

After the seminar my wife and I stopped at The Fish City Grill. The food was pretty good, although I think they needed to change the oil in the deep fryer. My fish came out soggy, but it was dark, just like my fries. I am pretty sure it was not a temperature issue, because nothing was overcooked. Generally when you get soggy deep fried food, it is because the oil temp is too low, but then the food usually does not get very brown. Mine was brown, but a bit doughy on the inside. Also, they served apple cider slaw and I do not like it as well as a creamy slaw. Overall I would give it a 3 out of 5 or a 6 out of 10. Strictly average.

We came home and took a nap but slept too long, so I woke up with a nap hangover. It took a long time to shake it, but eventually I did. We did a few loads of clothes but little else. We did manage a conversation with our son. He was given more info about where and how long he will be gone. It looks like he will be in Baghdad for 18 months. I am sure gonna miss him while he is gone.

Things that bothered me about the seminar:

1) The multiple and rather annoying attempts to solicit donations. South Lake is a very affluent area and we were urged to donate $100 or more to the ministry. The reason they chose $100 was something along the line of that is what you would spend going out to dinner or to a concert. I do not spend $100 for dinner..I have once spent that much with 3 people, but only once.

2) Many of the women did not dress properly at all. Men are visually oriented and if women do not know that, then they should. I saw sheer sun dresses, very low cut tops and very tight pants on many women...and I was not even trying to look. My wife told me of dozens of women she saw that were very much under dressed for the occasion.

Last Wednesday, My wife I went over to a SiC's house to help her pack so she can move next week. She lives in an apartment and the landlord is not renewing her lease. She has lived there 16 years and has done a lot to the place. She was adamant about removing the things she had installed like curtain rods and ceiling fans, so I took them down for her. I did not get 100% finished, but I can get it done this week.

I feel sorry that she has to move...she has a lot of stuff. Since she has been there that long I couldn't see a reason for the landlord not to renew her lease, but I think it has to do with the fact that he may want more rent or he is just tired of hearing her request that he fix up the place. I know I have helped fix several things in that apartment that he *refused* to fix, like broken locks, rotting doors, loose fixtures, painting, and even a new piece of vinyl flooring. All that work for nothing. I bet he rents it out to an illegal family. I have heard landlords joke that illegals pay on time because they do not want to do anything to get them in trouble. He also will most likely raise the rent as well. You reap what you sow.

No comments: