Wednesday, July 05, 2006

OK, That Makes Sense.

The other day I had posted that I found a replacement for the noisy and beat-up Linux server I run, megaserver. I had cannibalized parts from megaserver to put into a Compaq Presario (AMD 500 mhz processor) since the Compaq was smaller, quieter, and in better physical shape than my old faithful, megaserver. At first, I was disappointed in the performance of the box. It appeared sluggish, even though it was 100 mhz faster, it seemed to run slower than the 400 mhz celeron. After toying with it, I figured out why. The integrated video card was only an 8 meg card and it shared memory with the system. Once I put in the Matrox Millenia 2 (16 megs RAM) from the old megaserver, the machine ran much better. Makes sense to me. Now the box is humming along quite nicely, taking up a little less space and running quiter. While I do not see any performance improvements (it has only three slots for RAM, so I am down to 384 Megs now instead of 512. No big worries.

No comments: