Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunshine Saturday, So Long On Sunday

Before we hit the hay on Friday, we decided to get up at 6:30 AM to have coffee at the chow hall at 7:00 AM. When I woke up Saturday morning, I was a bit stiff and sore from sleeping on the less than comfortable bunk and since I had forgotten my Aleve, pain would be on the menu for next few hours.

We had our coffee sang a hymn, prayed and then we went in to have our breakfast. the food was good. It was probably the best camp food I have ever had...almost restaurant quality. The juice and milk were both premium and that really surprised me. The food alone made me forget my sore back.

After breakfast, we met in the main bunkhouse (it had a meeting room) to listen to our speaker. The message was a little light, but new Christians would have liked it. I was able to come away with one nugget of info that I was able to use a few days later...the ability to say "no".

After our speaker had finished part one, we paired up and did an exercise on desires and goals. it was pretty good, although I am not much of a fan of these types of things. I hope I can use some of the knowledge at work, since it was very secular based.

After the exercise, we we discussed our results and watched a short video. After that, we were free to enjoy lunch.

Lunch was not quite as good as breakfast, but it was not bad. It was as good as any fast food lunch, but lacked the *BAM* breakfast had. Considering the length of time between breakfast and lunch, I was going to need some of the snacks we had in reserve. Also we had planned a full day of fun things like riding a zip line, playing paint ball, swimming, and hiking. I played paint ball and rode the zip line and had a blast doing both.

The evening meal was a very nice chicken dish with black eyed peas and mashed potatoes with apple pie for dessert. The meal really hit the spot.

After the even meal we met back at the main bunkhouse to discuss the days events. Most of us agreed it was a great "fun" time but the spiritual part was lacking. One of the guys on the men's ministry initiated a deep conversation on John 12 and we carried that for a couple of hours until we were too tired to continue.

Many of us were bone tired so we hit our bunks and did not look back. I slept pretty well but I tossed and turned from 4:30 AM until I got up at 6:30 AM. I got up and cleared my head with a fresh cup of coffee while I waited for the breakfast buffet to open. Once it did, the group was enticed with a grand variety of food to choose from. After eating our fill, we went back to the bunkhouse to pack up. I was sad to have to leave, but I was hot, tired, and sweaty and I did not have any more clean clothes!

The drive back went quickly and before I knew it, I was back at the church, dropping off my passenger.

The rest of the day was spent with my wife and dogs. It was good to be back home.

No comments: