Friday, August 03, 2007

48 Hours

The past couple of days (at work) have been interesting...a mix of hecticness and calm, but the nights have been quiet. The days were busy enough to make them go by quickly and give little time for me to work on my Sunday school lesson that I have not completed yet.

Wednesday I spent over 2.5 hours working on a post mortem report for a couple of issues that had been ongoing and really should not have been. The issues were resolved by a third party and we will not get dinged for them, but it still is a pain. Why we have to provide the summery still confuses me (we did not fix the issues) but it is part of the job so we do it. Today I need to work on one that will most likely close Monday. While I will not be finishing it, I want to start it so my TL/colleague does not have to do it all...since it will be at least 2 page long.

Yesterday started slow, got busy at lunch time, and slacked off mid afternoon. We received four hi sev requests in just two hours (two per day is the average) plus the couple we still had open from previous days. Almost all of these were for the third party and they even had one fixed in less than an hour. I think it takes me longer to write up and enter the post mortem than it did to solve the case.

When I got home, I fed The Golden and let her out. Little Man refused to eat, drink, or use the bathroom until my wife got home (he is retreating back to the way he used to act 13 years ago when he was a puppy...this is just one example of that...there are others), so Iputtered around the house until about 7:30, when my wife came home. I walked Little Man and he finally used the bathroom. He had been holding it 14 hours. I do not know how he does it.

After got back from my walk, my wife asked me to help her put a carpet remnant in her van. She is trying to protect the factory carpet so she bought a large piece of marine carpet to put over the original. It needed to be cut to fit and that is not easy with all the rounded corners (and the fact the carpet moves a lot when you cut it) and we did not have a large piece of paper o use as a template. I wanted the work to look professional, but when you lack the proper tools and do not start until 8:00 PM when the light is waning...you get what you pay for. While it hardly looks professional, it is better than the first time we tried this with a very cheap ($10) piece of carpet. My wife did that one a few years ago while I was at work and it looked...rough. I told her the best way to do this
was to get large piece of paper and lay it in the floor and use a marker to trace a pattern, then transfer that pattern to the carpet. She did not have nor did she buy the large piece of paper (and it was getting late...my wife HAD to have this done last night...sigh), so we made do with what we had. We struggled but we got it in. I cut it too short near the doors, but 99% of the floor is protected and it does not look too bad.

I finished that and put away my tools while my wife put the van in the garage. I started washing dishes and paying bills while she walked The Golden around the block. The nights have been humid with all the rain and the temps are starting to get back to "normal" for Texas...although we have not seen a 100 degree day yet.

After she got back, I realized how tired I was and went straight to bed.

No comments: