Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Labor/Labour Day

Monday was a lot more laid back than I expected. Usually my wife spends days off in a whirlwind of activity, but yesterday was pretty low key. While we had a cookout to go to (even though it rained all day), I still expected to do a little work around the house. Other than some laundry, nothing was really accomplished.

As I previously stated, it rained all day...it was a long slow rain and according to the weather channel, we only received .57 of an inch. We may have gotten some last night as well, but we received a lot less than I had expected. Still, it was the kind of rain we needed. It worked into the ground without any major run-off.

The cookout was a very low key event. By the time we got there, most everyone had eaten. I wanted to show up earlier, but my wife was napping and I thought it better for her to rest. Stopped by the store to get some fruit and cookies to take and I had already grilled some chicken breasts that I wanted to take. Add that to two 2 liters of soft drinks and we came with almost a complete meal.

We played Scrabble and Farkle, watch some videos and a movie. Since it was raining we did nothing outside except grill the meat.

We got home and I walked little man in the rain. It was almost a pointless exercise, but I did it anyway. Little man has been digging and scratching quite a bit and it is beginning to get on my wife's nerves. He is tearing himself up and we do not know why. He is old (12 years) and we both know he has problems. Allergy issues are common in older dogs. He also has "tremors" several times a week. He does other odd things as well, such as staring at a blank wall and attacking inanimate objects while we walk.

I handed over the on-call pager to the other Unix admin who is here. I was glad to get rid of it. It feels like an anchor when you have it. You feel you cannot go far or do much. I get it again in a few weeks, just about the time we will know what is going on with layoffs.

No comments: