Sunday, September 10, 2006

I Am Beginning to HATE Linksys Routers

11 months ago I purchased a Linksys WRT54G wireless G router. About 8 months into using it, it dies. The lights stay lit the minute it is plugged in, which indicates a failed firmware flash. Odd thing is, I did not flash the firmware. It has been rumored that Comcast is in bed with Linksys, sending flash upgrades silently to the routers and modems.

After a week troubleshooting via e-mail, I am given an RMA and I have to ship this thing to them, which sets me back $8. A week later I get a new router. It works for 3 months and dies again. It does not have the same symptoms, but I cannot use it to access the internet. My spare router (an old wired Netgear) still works, so that is what I am using. I know the cable companies are not happy with people setting up their own home networks...TWC and others would rather you pay them to do it...but are they blocking some people from using self created home networks?

I still have some testing to do, but I am not 100% sure what the problem is. At least I have a spare until I can figure this mess out.

1 comment:

dakboy said...

I have no idea what you're doing. I have that same router, and it's been rock-solid for 2 years, running 24/7/365. TWC doesn't really care anymore if you have a router.

Are you sure that the router is getting clean power at the right voltage, etc.? I don't know if you've replaced the power brick or not. May want to try a different surge protector too (you do have it on one, right?).