Friday, September 01, 2006

I Am Not Sure Where To Begin (Ramble On)

*** Warning. I am very tired and this post may ramble and stray. You have been warned. ***

The world is racing by at a 1000 miles per hour (people outside the US will have to convert this...I do not have the desire to at this time) and I feel like I am barely hanging on. I have had 9 hours sleep in the past 2 days and worked 30 hours those same 2 days. Today looks like a 10 hour day, so I will have put in a weeks work in just 3 days. That is one way to burn out quickly.

I am on-call this week and all went fine until Wednesday. I was up until 2 AM helping work an issue that my TL finished. It was beyond my skillset (we had an entire site down and the local person was not a UNIX tech) so I had to bow out. My TL worked until 5 AM to get it resolved. He is a real trooper. I went to bed at 2 AM and got back up at 5 AM. I was slow getting started, but I made it to work at 8 AM. I stayed until 7 PM to work on phase II of the remove site issue. I had to come in at 5:30 AM today to finalize that site and will not leave until at least 4 PM. All that and I am still on call and I will be until Monday morning. Major sigh.

The next day my wife and I tried to get our new Cingular phones activated but ran into issues. We had AT&T and then AT&T merged with Cingular. When we needed new phones, we had to get Cingular phones on Cingular rate plans. The activation process was not smooth and I was out of a phone for a big part of yesterday. My wife likes her new Samsung 407 (I have the 507 ..no camera but it is a quad band (world) phone) and was busy making it her own. The worst part is programming all the numbers back into it. We could not use the old SIM's so we have to manually add the numbers to the new SIM.

My oldest dog (little man) is have severe allergy problems. He has been digging all the time and is really beginning to hurt himself. We are going to have to put him on meds, so that is another expense for us. Sigh.

My wife got a speeding ticket the other day. Her first in 20 years. I jokingly say that she was going light speed in a sub-light zone, but she does not find that amusing. She was going 18 mph over the posted speed and the fine is $185...not that we need any more bills.

I failed to get my truck inspected in time but my wife is going to be a trooper and get it done for me today. While I need a lot of little things, we cannot afford them all yet, so I need to get them done a few at a time. I thought we were doing well until I did the checkbook last night and noticed I failed to enter a few things and we still have an electricity bill coming. With the high heat we had most of August, it is going to be high.

I still have a Sunday School lesson to prepare for church, but outside of house cleaning I do not have anything else planned. I need to mow grass but since my trimmer is in the shop (warranty repair, I hope!) I cannot complete the job until I get it back.

I have been watching a match or two of the old UFC martial arts fights. The oldest ones (UFC 1-5) are kinda amusing because of the lack of rules. They look like school yard brawls at times. Pulling hair, kicks to the groin, big men versus small men...no holds barred. I have a copy of UFC 15 that I want to watch when I get time. I hope to rest and veg out this weekend.

Work (outside of putting out fires) has been busy and I have now begun to force myself to take breaks. I never used to but when things are as hectic as they are now, you have to. I am working on a "spider web" project (it seems to connect to everything) and I have more mail in my mailbox than I have had in a long time. I like project work, but trying to be an L1 tech, doing project work, and performing adminstrivia for my group is taking a toll on me. Vacation is not scheduled until October (a little over a month) *IF* I am still here. Yeah, we still have that layoff thing to think about as well. And to add insult to injury, the people who are left will be majorly busy with trying to keep the SLO's in check since we are offloading that to KL. I am concerned that KL will not do as much as they say they will and the people who are left will be the clean-up crew. It may get ugly.

OK, I have rambled and consumed 1 breakroom mocha (nasty office coffee mixed with powdered hot chocolate) so I have a caffeine buzz, but my body is very tired. Time to take care of a few things.

No comments: