Tuesday, September 12, 2006

God's Plan For Me

I am to be a good Samaritan. I am convinced of this. God puts too many people in my path that need help. An example of this happened last night.

I was driving home after the church trustee meeting when I noticed flashing lights ahead of me. I first thought it was a police car, but as I got closer, I saw that it was a paramedic or ambulance. It was turning off on one of the country back roads just as a car was pulling out. The car left the road and ended up half way in a deep (6+ feet) ditch with one wheel (the left rear) in the air, and the other three partially touching ditch and road. The car was at a pretty sharp angle and the passenger door was open. I turned off onto the side rode, left my truck running and ran over to see if I could help.

The passenger was a 8-10 year old boy and he was trying to climb DOWN into the ditch (which would put him in danger if the car slid off). I told him to get back in and I ran to the driver side where his mom was. Another child was in the back seat scared, but quiet. I asked the mom if she had called for help and she told me no. I called 911 and gave my number and personal info. A fire truck was there in about 3 minutes.

Before the truck came, I helped all three kids out of the car by pulling them up and out. The boy in the front had to climb over his mother and the boy in the back took the entire 3 minutes (or so it seemed) to unhook and climb out. Mom was the last one to get out and thankfully the car did not fall deeper into the ditch. Two police officers showed up a couple of minutes later and along with the fire truck, completely blocked me in so the only recourse I had was to drive 10 miles out of my way to get home. Oh well, at least the driver and her kids are safe.

Now while this is the most exciting assistance I have offered, it is not the first. I have helped a lot of people (come to think of it, they were mostly women and children). I was able to assist in a head on collision once and that was exciting...no one was seriously injured (airbags do save lives).

So God, if this is my lot in life, I need to make sure my truck has some things in it that will be helpful...water, tools, blankets, jumper cables, etc.

1 comment:

dakboy said...

When I had my trucks, I always carried the following:

Jumper cables
1 gallon of antifreeze
14 foot trucker's chain
30 foot, 30,000 pound tow strap
Shackle that mounted into my Class III receiver hitch
Firestarter stick
Space Blanket
First Aid kit
FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Heavy leather gloves
Various tools
4 collapsible wheel chocks

Toss it all in a heavy Rubermaid-type container and you're set.

Never got to use any of them except the jumper cables. Oh, and the chain was used to pull some shrubs out of a friend's front yard. And used the shackle & tow strap while offroading.