Monday, June 30, 2008

Work, Heat, Biking, Caching

We had a busy day at work on Friday My boss was intent on giving us the least amount of info and expecting us to provide the maximum amount of results...you know just a normal day! We managed to end with our heads above water. That meant that my colleague, who was on call, did not have to manage any issues left over from the day. He simply was to be in "reaction mode" until he went off call on Monday morning.

Earlier in the week I was given the movie "Equilibrium" to watch. While I liked the concept, the movie as a whole was terrible. I returned it promptly on Thursday evening. By Saturday, the man who let me borrow that gave me another one, "Gattaca". This one was much better although I am not much of an Ethan Hawke fan. Oddly enough, Equilibrium was rated "R" but there was no nudity (well none to speak of...there were side shots but no naughty bits were shown) and no language. It was rated "R" for violence. Gattaca was rated "PG-13" for language...the "F word" was uttered twice in typical European fashion.

Saturday I had to get up early since my wife was getting up early so I decided to go geocaching early...at 7:00 AM. I stayed out for about five hours and had a great time. I was even able to run a couple of errands while I was out. I grabbed a few harder ones but most of them were simple PnG's scattered in North Allen and South McKinney...areas I have cached very little or not at all in the past.

After I got back, entered in my finds, and cleaned up, I went over to a BiC's house to work on his wife's PC. It was the typical virus infection house call that I normally handle for them. Once I took care of that the PC was pretty much back to normal. The PC really could use a nuke and pave since their boys (who have since moved out) download and install a lot of garbage. I almost did it once before but I was able to salvage the machine without doing so. I am a little antsy about doing a nuke and pave because they have a lot of data on the machine that they do not back up and it is scattered everywhere on the HD. Finding it will be a challenge and I am sure I would be getting a ton of calls if anything went missing.

The virus/spyware scan took about 2 hours but it was thorough. I collected my modest fee (less than half of what The Geek Squad charged for a house call) and was given "Gattaca" to watch, providing I return it to the Blockbuster by the due date.

I went home and did some house work while my wife ran an errand or two and grabbed me some Taco Bell for dinner. I had just finished when she got back, so I put the things away and ate. After eating I watched Gattaca and went for a long walk with the dogs. I was not very tired so I went to read for a while until the last load of clothes that were in the dryer finished. Oh I also helped fold clothes and washed dishes before I went to bed.

Sunday was very typical early on (Sunday School and church). We started a new study on the book of Mark in our SS class and it looks like it will be pretty good. We were told that we would have a guest teacher once a month. I think ours is getting burned out.

After SS, we had our normal service sans the Praise and Worship band. Most of them were out of town so we had a guest band come in and lead. They were pretty good...young but good. They were all in college except for the lead singer and she is only a Junior in high school. Good set of pipes on her...she had great range.

After church my wife and I grabbed some Chinese food and then went home. She took a nap while I worked on my bike (I had two flats to change), then I went out on a 17 mile ride. I grabbed a cache while I was out but I had not originally intended to do that. I just happened to be checking the GPSr (I use it as a bike computer when I ride...very helpful!) and noticed a new one was only three miles away so I went for it. I am over 500 finds now and if this weekend is any indication I am really into a grove right now.

I got back (wishing I had taken some water with me) and downed a quart of water pretty quickly, but not so quick that it made me puke...that is a horrible feeling to be very thirsty, drink a lot of water and vomit. I have had it happen only once and that was enough.

I made a pizza for dinner and then after we ate I made a Braum's run to get some mile and ice cream. When I came back I started watching "Red Dragon", which is the prequel to "Silence of the Lambs". I did not realize I had seen it before until I got near the end. It was another Hulu.com special.

After the movie I grabbed a shower then hit the hay. Monday was going to arrive soon enough and I was going to need my sleep.

No comments: