Thursday, June 12, 2008

Back On The Bike

I have been trying to get in a few miles each night (that I am not obligated to something else) on my 10 year old Trek 930 hybrid mountain bike. Saturday was 15 miles, Sunday 11, Tuesday 6, and Wednesday 10. Monday I had a Trustee meeting at church, and today I have The Truth Project to attend. Friday I will most likely be mowing grass so I can cache on Saturday and Sunday will be the next day that I could possibly put any miles on my bike. And of course I am on call (and working by myself) next week so no chance at all I will be biking then. However, at least I am on the thing.

Yes, I have an ulterior motive. While getting exercise and losing weight are good, I really have been using my biking to grab or place caches that are close by when I can. The price of gas has really put a crimp on my caching plans!

Speaking of biking and caching, I grabbed one last night near the CommColl that is abut 5 miles away. It was a puzzle cache that was straight forward, but due to a small detail, I was incorrect on solving it. I did manage to solve it and get confirmation that the coords were correct. Armed with that info, I rode to CCCC - Spring Creek Campus to grab "Presidents Day".

When I got there the grounds had been mowed (this is a wooded area with weeds) and this made getting closer to GZ (Ground Zero) much easier. When I got to GZ, I scoured the area for the prize but could not find it. I then saw something unusual on the ground that turned out to be part of the camo used on the hide. Realizing that the cache had fallen from its hiding place onto the ground, the mower must have run it over and torn it up. I evetually (20 minutes later) found the container mostly intact and returned it to a likely hiding spot. A hard find even with the lack of camo since I expected it to be one area and it was 20+ feet away in another.

No comments: