Monday, June 16, 2008

Well, That Was Easy Enough

I decided to go ahead and wipe my old work laptop (HP nc6000) and load Ubuntu Linux 8.04 on it. I expected problems but oddly enough it went pretty smoothly. I had read articles about how people had trouble with the wireless lan settings and drivers but as soon as I turned off the auto mode, it worked like a charm. But I am getting ahead of myself.

I copied over the "My Documents" folder to my external hard drive and then rebooted the laptop with the Ubuntu CD in the drive. It took about 5-6 minutes to boot, giving me an odd error (Buffer I/O error on fd0) along the way, but it still booted up into the desktop and within 40 minutes I had a fully updated laptop. 10 minutes later I had wifi working. I had the same issues with another HP laptop a couple of years ago. It seems that network manager conflicts and if you turn it off, wireless works very well.

Looks like I have a new toy for a while.

No comments: