Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Of Wind and Uninterrupted Meetings

It was an interesting day Tuesday. It was my second day of working at home while my colleague is on vacation and it was also a very gloomy day in regards to weather.

My wife got up and prepared to get some of the shrubs trimmed back (she does a much better job of making them look neat than I do). She had not been out too long when I noticed the sky was beginning to turn dark in the northwest. She worked a little while longer then the rain hit and she was just able to get the supplies and herself inside before the sky broke open.

The rain and wind did not last long but the power flickered a few times. Working from home connected to the corporate network when the power fails is scary since I work on a hotline and can be called at any minute. Fortunately no calls came in during the power outages, brief as they were.

The sky cleared up and my wife was preparing to go out again when it started raining for the second time. She just sighed and decided that trimming the already overgrown shrubs would just have to wait.

The rest of the day was quiet for me, work-wise. I got one call that was not an emergency and my buddy Blockhead called about 6:00 PM to chat. After chatting with him for a while I told him good bye. I had a church meeting to go to and needed to get ready.

The meeting went well. I did get a call during that time but it was from a member of our church and not work. After the meeting I called Carol back and found out she was having PC issues...more specifically her CD/DVD-ROM stopped working. I stopped by on my way home from the meeting to make sure it was not a loose connection but it was not. The PC recognizes the unit but the unit will not open nor will it read a CD once you open the door with the old tech trick using a paperclip. "I think she is dead, Kyeptin". She asked me if I would replace it for her and I told her I would but I would have to wait until I was off call. No money to be made on that one since the woman just recently retired and is having trouble paying for insurance since she cannot get Medicare yet. Oh well, I don't mind.

No comments: