Tuesday, June 10, 2008

REQ: Help From A Palm PDA Guru

*** Update***

Not that I did anything differently (other than installing apps one at at time) but I was able to get my wife's PDA working again although the file transfers are horribly slow, even when adjusting the ports to the maximum speed allowed. Go figure.

I have researched and found a few answers but nothing is working 100%.

My wife and I have Palm based PDA's. I have a Tungsten E and she has my old Palm Vx. Don't laugh...it fits her needs quite well. We have one PC that we Hotsync to, using Palm Desktop 4.1.4 (with two separate profiles). Both have been sync'd recently. My PDA syncs fine, no problems what so ever. My wife's PDA however is having issues.

I first noticed that the digitizer was off so I tried to manually correct it but I cannot get the pen to line up well enough. I installed an app that was supposed to help, but it did not. A soft reset also failed to correct the digitizer issue, so I did a hard reset and then sync'd the PC and the PDA. The exact same thing happened. I found another article that stated that Palm Desktop 4.1.X + has been known to cause issues with older Palm units even though Palm recommends that version. I tried the workaround and everything seemed to work...until I tried to install applications. Then the digitizer was off again and I cannot correct it. Every time I try to install software, the digitizer screws up beyond calibration.

My current workaround was to hard reset and sync the PDA with the PC. Now my wife has her data, but her PDA is nothing more than an address book and to do list...I cannot install any programs for her or the digitizer goes crazy.

I could try to install the original Palm Dekstop that came with her PDA but I am not sure how that will affect my PDA synching with the PC since mine is so much newer. I could synch mine with my work PC but then I would have to install some non-work software on that PC to use some apps (geocaching software) that I need.

I would like to get this fixed so if anyone who has had a Palm V or Vx has had this problem and knows how to fix it, please let me know.

No comments: