Monday, June 02, 2008

Weekend MMA

I did not get so see all of what I wanted to this weekend in regards to MMA (I had to resort to youtube.com, mmlinker.com, and rutube.ru) but I did see every match I wanted to see.

There were two big events over the weekend. EliteXC (which was aired on CBS) and the WEC (on Versus). There was only one fight I wanted to see on Versus but I am going to save that one for last.

Kimbo Slice def. James Thompson - EVERYONE had Kimbo taking out "The Collossus" early in round one... and I wa very glad to see it go beyond that. It showed the world that the Kimbo Hype Machine is just that...HYPE. Kimbo Slice is a product of marketing and the people pulling the strings are going to make as much money off of him as they can. He is in his mid-30's and a thug. He will never fight anyone who can beat him. While Thompson is not top 10 material, he showed the holes in Kimbo's game and anyone with half a brain could see it. Neither man had great cardio, but Kimbo SHOULD have been able to put Thompson and he didn't. Where was that glass chin James is known for? He took some real shots and came back for more. Had he been in better shape he would have beaten KS in the first round.

The fight was stopped after Kimbo threw a flurry of unanswered punches. Now what gets me is that Thompson never fell...the ref just stopped the fight.


Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith - I was looking forward to this fight more than any other on the card. Lawler hits like a Mack truck and Scott Smith ain't no slouch either. Now to be honest I was hoping Scott Smith would Superman punch Lawler into next week (I love watching old UFC vids of Lawler getting his butt kicked) but I knew that was not going to happen. Instead the fight was stopped when Lawler accidently poked Smith in the eye. Smith was not given his five minute recovery time and this fight, like the Kimbo-Thompson fight, was stopped early. What a shame.

Gina Carano def. Kaitlin Young - I have not seen this one yet. The only female MMA I have ever seen was on Bodog Fight and watching that made me feel a little...dirty. A lot of guys like watching chicks go at it, but I don't. I will watch it but I just have not had the time maybe later tonight.

Joey Villasenor def. Phil Baroni - I have disliked Phil "The New York Meatball" Baroni the minute I saw him in the UFC. He got beat then and he got beat the next time I saw him fight Shamrock. Guess what folds, "The New York Meatball" got his butt whooped again! He may hit hard but he has no style. I think people like to watch him lose.

Brett Rogers def. Jon Murphy - I knew nothing of eithe man but I was told Rogers was a beast. After this fight, I agree. Why don't we let Kimbo fight Rogers next?


Matt Makowski def. Nick Serra - I can't find this on online. I am interested in watching this because Nick Serra is Matt Serra's brother. If he acts like his brother it will be a pleasure to see him get whooped as well.

The WEC was on last night and the main event was a classic duel between old school and new. Urijah "The California Kid" Faber stood toe to toe with the one and only Jens "Little Evil" Pulver in a monumental five round slug fest. I am a Urijah Faber fan and was pleased to see him bash Pulver up a bit. My only surprise was that Jens hung in as long as he did. He took an incredible amount of punishment but he never backed down. The man has a warriors heart and I have to admire that even if I do not like him. It made for a very entertaining fight.

I thought Urijah looked a little funny with his hair in corn rows (like female MMA practioners do) but I guess when your hair is as long and full as his is, then you gotta do something. He is the WEC champ and has an incredible record in the WEC. IIRC, he has only been beaten once professionally and that was by a lightweight who currently fights in the UFC, Tyson Griffin. His record is 21 and 1.

No comments: