Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Saturday Fights

So far the week has been pretty good work wise. I realize it is only hump day but I am not complaining. Nothing major has come in although there have been issues that are frustrating...only because the powers that be do not seem to understand that if they want us to do our jobs properly we need INFORMATION. Sorry, Pointy Headed Boss, my crystal ball is in the shop.

The UFC is having a big event at the O2 arena in England this weekend. While a lot of "fans" are not excited about it, I am:

Thiago Alves vs. Matt Hughes - Old school versus new. Matt Hughes is on the decline but it would really be something to see him pound out (or submit) the Muoy Thai killer that Alves is. Alves is hungry so this ought to be good.


Michael Bisping vs. Jason Day - I know nothing about Jason Day, but I am hoping for an upset. I cannot stand Bisping.


Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick - Two of my favorite fighters are finally going at it. Davis not only hits like a Mack truck, but he can submit as well. He can take a beating and is on a mega win streak. Swick is lightning fast and hits hard as well. However, he will be more dangerous on the ground as his "Swick-o-tine" choke is nearly legendary.


Thales Leites vs. Nate Marquardt - Not a lot to comment on...this should be a good old fashioned brawl.

Brandon Vera vs. Fabricio Werdum - I have seen Vera fight and he does it well. Muoy Thai...it's what's for dinner! That man has lethal knees. Werdum (pronounced similer to Ver-DOOM) better not stand with him. If he does, he is toast. If it goes to the ground, I expect Vera to start pounding and Verdum doing his best to submit him.

Martin Kampmann vs. Jorge Rivera - This one is tough. Both men have beaten quality fighters and both can hit hard. While I like Rivera better, I think Kampmann will take this one. His striking is a bit more crisp and even though Rivera beat Kendall Groves in January, I think will drop this one.

Thiago Tavares vs. Matt Wiman - I don't follow either fighter...and this is on the undercard so I will not see it anyway.

Luiz Cane vs. Jason Lambert - Undercard fight (I hope it makes it on TV). I don't follow Cane, but I have always enjoyed watching Lamber fight. He has fought some good fighters (and won) in the past, but lost his last match in January against Wilson Gouveia. He will be hungry because he does not want two losses in a row. I think he needs to work on his gut some (he looked very out of shape in January) and then the cardio will follow. He hits HARD so I hope Cane brings his iron jaw with him.


Kevin Burns vs. Roan Carneiro - Undercard and I don't follow these fighters.


Jess Liaudin vs. Paul Taylor - A couple of Londoners if I remember correctly. Those Brits can hit hard and are very scrappy. While I do not follow these fighters, I am guessing this will be a brawl.

Eddie Sanchez vs. Antoni Hardonk - I have not seen the "Manic Hispanic" (Sanchez) fight since his incredible loss to CroCop, but he has won his last two fights by TKO. Hardonk is a kickboxer and that style tends to frustrate Sanchez. I am going to say that Sanchez's chin and hard head keep him alive while he pounds on Hardonk.

I will most likely catch the videos the next day on mmalinker and youtube. I hope to catch the play by play on mmajunkie.

No comments: