Saturday, November 10, 2007

Well, I Had To Hand It Over

The issue at work did not get resolved while I was there so I had to hand it over to my TL who is on call. I hated to do it but it was not going to get resolved on my watch. I hope he did not have to stay up for it.

I got home and vegged out for a while then hit the hay. I was tired and needed rest.

The next morning I got an early start on my chores. I wanted to get them done before I got my hair cut at 10:45 and I was able to accomplish that without too much trouble. Before I left I had time to print up some of the geocaching notes that I would need for the day. I had a plan and I hoped to stick to it as best as I could.

After getting my hair cut I hit the road and started my quest for geocaches. I started at Allen Premium Outlets and grabbed two there. Both were pretty easy although one had me a bit puzzled for a few minutes. After I grabbed those I cruised by Star Creek Park and picked up a very good hide there. The guy who hid that one is really good at using the natural items to assist in the hiding process.

I left Star Creek and headed north to a cemetery that had 4 hides in it. All 4 were in the back (to give you an idea how big it is all caches have to be at least 1/10 of a mile apart from each other) and I was able to get them all without any trouble. As a matter of fact I was able to get all 7 in just over an hour.

With that accomplishment under my belt, I decided to head over to another area that had a couple of ammo cans hidden (Ammo cans are what cachers strive for...they can hold a lot of goodies and are harder to hide). I struck out while wasting about 1-2 hours looking for the next 4 hides on my list and I was getting a bit depressed. I drove back down to Stacy road and headed towards 4 that I did not get last week and when I arrived I realized that there was more bush whacking needed than I wanted to do after wasting so much time on the ammo cans. I decided to drive towards Lucas and see about picking up a few there.

I pulled up a road that looked familiar and zoomed out my GPSr. It showed 2 within a mile so I drive up and picked up those two. Okay...I was up to 9. My goal on any Saturday is a minimum of 10 so I zoomed out my GPSr again and noticed 2 more about half a mile away in a new, nicer subdivision. I pulled in to the park and headed off into unknown territory. I found the first one pretty quickly. It did not look like it belonged and when I lifted it, I was rewarded with a film canister and a log. Once it was signed, I moved on to the other one in this area which was about 800 feet away in the woods.

I followed the path until I was sure that I was not going to get any closer to it then I headed off into the brush. It did not take long until I found the ammo can (my first solo ammo can find) and opened it up. It was packed with cool stuff. I did not go through it all because I had been out for 4 hours and needed to get home. I did however sign the log and trade few items. I took a tube of "Shoe Goo" (the sole of one of my Wolverines was coming lose so this was needed) and a geocoin and left an old Mexican coin and an MRE accessory pack. Once all was packed back up, I headed back to the GeoDak and went home...stinky but mostly happy. I would have loved to get other 6 or so that I had wiffed on, but those are for another day, I guess.

No comments: