Monday, February 19, 2007

No Rest For The Wicked

I had scheduled myself a very full Saturday, knowing that all of it needed to be done, but my tale starts on Friday.

Friday night my wife and I cooked a meal and served the "tweenagers", cleaning up afterwards. We went home and I grabbed Little Man and walked him and was able to get back before "Law and Order" came on. After watching a pretty good episode of that, I hit the hay. My wife stayed up since she was not as tired as I was and also I had a busier day than she did.

My normal routine was in place for the weekend (up at 6 AM, walk, feed, and water dogs, coffee, and shower) but Saturday morning was the day of the monthly men's breakfast. I got there and enjoyed a pretty good breakfast and after a brief lesson, I started to help clean up. I noticed people were not jumping at the chance to do that, but I did not mind...I only wish we had better pots and pans...the old ones we have are in pretty bad shape. I stayed until after 11:00 AM cleaning, mostly by myself. I did have help but it floated in and out. I did not want to ask the cooking crew to help since they spent all morning preparing for the feast we all enjoyed, but it would have been nice to have a few other guys pitch in.

After I got home at 11:30 or so, I started my chores around the the house (stripping the beds, vacuuming, trash, help with laundry, etc). My wife had been painting so the hall bath did not need to be touched (not that it is that hard to clean, but it was nice to have one less room) and she was currently dusting rooms I had not gotten to vacuum yet.

After we were done (2 PM or so, I took a breather and realized I had less than an hour until my One on One Discipleship lesson with Jerry. We had plans to meet at the park, but it was too windy so we decided on the library instead. I grabbed my bible, the course book and and my notebook at left at about 2:40. I had to stop by the store to pick up a few things for later on and I figured that it would be best to do it now.

Jerry and I went to the libary, grabbed one of the private meeting rooms and began our lesson. It took a bit longer than I hoped, but it was time well spent and I wanted to make sure our first meeting went well. Jerry seemed eager to get started on his task and even though he has a full schedule, he promised to make time for this.

At about 5:15 or so we finished the lesson. I got him back on the road to his apartment and I went off to my last appointment. A few of the guys from church were going to meet at PapaKilo's house to grill some brats and watch "We Were Soldiers". Everyone who attended is ex military except me, but since I have ties to the military (son, father, half-brother) I fit in well enough. PK manages a Wal-Mart in a very bad section of town and has to work every weekend, but this week he is on vacation so we decided to hang out and have a good time. The food was great (hot links, brats, chips and queso, raw veggies and dip,soda, beer, cake and brownies) and the movie was very good. War movies are a mixed blessing in many ways. Very entertaining but at the same time, reminding us the price we pay for freedom as well as the fact that not all wars are justified.

I got home about 9 PM or so and was very, very tired. The only major plans for us was church and then lunch. After than I was going to veg out as much as possible. I had a ton of e-mail I wanted to respond to (Landshark, KD and a few others) but I just did not have the motivation to do so properly. Sorry guys...I am still exhausted, but I will be back in the swing of things real soon.

Sunday was more of a normal Sunday with church and then lunch out. We came back and took a long nap then I got up and watched most of "Tears of the Sun" with Bruce Willis before little man made it very clear that he needed to be walked, fed and watered. So I got him ready and took him for a short walk and let my wife do the feeding and watering while I called mom. I talk to her every week so I can make sure she is doing okay. She usually is but since she does not talk to too many adults, she likes to vent when I call. For the most part, the conversation is about 75-90% her, with me listening.

After all that was done I finalized our tax returns (we get back enough to allow my wife to get the dining room table and chairs she wants) and then went into the bedroom to pray with my wife and read a bit. I finally turned off the light at 10:00 PM.

No comments: