Monday, February 12, 2007

3 Days Later...

I borrowed a trio of martial arts movies from my care group leader last Wednesday and I finished with the third Saturday evening. The first one (Ong Bak Thai Warrior) was my favorite of the three. The other two, "Tom Yum Goong" and "Iron Monkey" were okay, but not as good. "Iron Monkey" was filmed in the "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" style while "Tom Yum Goong" (released as "The Protector" in the US) was more in the style of "Ong Bak". The "Iron Monkey" DVD did not play well after the 13thc chapter, so I really did not get to finish it. No big loss for me.

I did some catching up with some clients over the weekend. Sometimes it is smarter to cut your losses an NOT take a job than to get stuck doing one that will be a problem. One of my potentials called me last week and told me that he could not get online (he uses dial-up) and that neither the other geek at church or the ISP's customer service was able to assist him. After talking to geek number two at church, I realized what the problems wasn't. He had already switched modems, tested the phone line and tested dial-up with another ISP. All gave the same results. The symptom was dial-up would connect, but very slowly and the connection would drop soon after it was made. I told geek number two to remove and reinstall the TCP/IP stack. His eyes lit up and said that would explain why networking would not work on the machine when it was hooked up to his private network via ethernet. Yep, TCP/IP corruption will do that.

Client number two (Pr0n family Robinson) still have not done anything about backing up the data on their PC. I told them I would work on it after they pulled off all the things they wanted to keep. They told me just to wipe it and reload but I stopped them and asked them if losing all their e-mail addresses, e-mails, bookmarks, photos, music and homework was acceptable and they of course said no. We discussed what options they had (burning to CD/DVD, USB sticks/memory cards, and external hard drives but they were unsure. Finally after about 20 minutes, the father agreed to buy an external hard drive to back all the data on to. The father thought that buying a new (cheap) PC was they way to go, but that still does not address the issue of what to do about the data.

Over all the weekend went well. I did some reading and some chores, watched a few movies and even found time to attend a prayer function Sunday evening at church. I will admit it was not the most eventful or productive weekend I have ever had, but it did feel good not to have to rush to anything.

I still need to get my wife a card for Valentines Day (aka St. Hallmark's day) but I am at a loss on what else to do for her. I would like to take her out but our budget is a little thin (all the bonus money is gone) and we are back to living on what I make (which btw, went up .56 / hour thanx to a "raise" I was not informed about. This is the second one in 4 years...neither one has met the cost of living. While I am making more than I ever had (thank you GOd for providing), I am paying more for my benefits each and every year. I am thankful that I am working and every little bit helps...that I know. I guess all those years getting spoiled at my old job has really clouded my thinking. I need to look at this as a blessing and not complain.

No comments: