Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Of Prayer And Fasting

Our church has decided on a corporate 21 days of prayer and fasting. Fasting for me is not easy. I like to eat and I eat all day long (in small amounts, mostly). To stop eating for any length of time is not very pleasant for me. Yes, I know that fasting is not supposed to be "fun"...it is a time to reflect and pray for specific things, but the main reason we fast (to become closer to God) is missed for me because when I am hungry, I have trouble concentrating on anything. Yes I am a spoiled eater.

I have fasted for 24 and 36 hours in the past (no food, only water) and the results have always been the same: Headaches, irritability, nausea. This time I thought I would try a different spin on fasting during this 21 days: a dawn until dusk fast without food, drinking only water, three days a week. Our pastor had informed us that if we chose to fast (it is completely optional) that we needed to listen to our bodies and if we needed something, then we should consume it. It gets hot in Texas during the summer so I felt I needed the water, so I had a about a gallon all day long which is twice as much as I normally drink. I spent my lunchtime in prayer and finished out my shift and went home. My wife was eating a burger (she chose not to participate in this fast) and apologized for not being done before I got home. I was not too worried and went in to watch "King of the Hill" until it was time to go to church and pray there. Once prayer was over and we went back home I walked Little Man and watched another episode of Firefly on Hulu.com . When the sun went down I grabbed one of the burgers and an ear of fresh grilled corn and a small glass of juice. I tried to eat slowly (I really was hungry) and also keep the portions down. I went to bed shortly after eating and slept pretty well.

Today will be a normal day of eating, but I plan on spending some of my lunch in prayer. Tomorrow I will return to my Mon, Wed, Fri dawn to dusk fast and end my day at church in prayer then with a small evening meal.

I know there are a lot of purists who are scoffing at my fast...but try as I may I cannot go long periods without eating unless I want to pay the price.

For those of you who pray, pray that I will be strong enough to stick with the 3 day, dawn to dusk fast. For me, one who likes to eat, this will be a challenge. Also pray that I will receive enlightenment from my prayers regarding finances and the direction God wants me and my family to go.

No comments: