Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Getting You Caught Up

Okay, I need to make this quick, since I am on a tight time table this week. Okay, I was on a tight time table last week, too...what else is new?

First, we (my wife and I, as well as eight other couples) went to a marriage conference at Gateway Church in Southlake, Texas on Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday morning. In a nutshell it was really good. The speakers, Dr. Gary Smalley and one of his son's, Greg were very entertaining and informative. My only complaint is two fold. First, we PAID to go see this and I hate having someone constantly hawking books, CD's, DVD's every time they can. Set up your booth, make you announcement, and get on with it.

The second is that Dr. Gary is ADHD and it is difficult to listen to him as a speaker. He bounces around so much he lost me many times and lost his place so he had to back track many times. Good material...VERY GOOD material that I suggest to anyone who wants to understand their mate better, but Dr. Gary is just too ADHD for me to listen to. It was like listening to my wife talk. When she tells a story, I just cannot follow her because she takes so many side trips on other stories that are related (to her) before getting back to the main point.

After I got back on Saturday, I took a nap and then mowed grass. Once I got done it was time to walk the dogs, shower, and get to bed...I was bushed. Oh I forgot to add that we drove with a couple on Friday and did not get back to our home until 10:00 PM. We were slotted to drive on Saturday which meant I had to put the middle bench back in the van (not the easiest task on the planet), quickly clean it out, and feed, water, and walk both dogs. I was able to do my part and get into bed by 11:00 PM. My wife was 30 minutes behind me. We had to get up at 5:00 AM to drive over to pick up the othe two couples that would be attending we us on Saturday. Let me tell you 5:00 AM came very quickly.

On Sunday my wife and I went to Sunday school and church, with lunch afterwards. We did not get back home until after 2:00 and I still had to vacuum. I managed to get done about 4:00 PM and since I had not gotten my weekly geocaching fix, I decided to head out. Yes, it was 100 degrees but I have found out that it was a great time to go. Most people were not out so I was able to cache in relatively peace. I was out for about four hours and grabbed 14 caches. I will elaborate later on my geocaching blog.

While I was on my last two finds, I decided to call mom and chat with her. After my oblitory 90 minute call, I hung up, showered, ate, and went to bed...Monday was going to be busy.

Monday morning I got up at 6:00 instead of 5:00 AM. My wife was having surgery and I took Monday off to be with her. We ran a couple of errands after we both got ready and were at the hospital at 11:00 AM. We had a small group of people there to pray for her and they all stayed until she was out of surgery (which, BTW went well). Only one person could stay until she made it out of recovery (the associate pastor's wife...a sick woman in her own right) at 5:00 PM. She was obviously groggy and slept a lot until food was delivered and she perked up but then fell asleep again. I stayed until 7:30 PM (I had to get home and take care of the dogs) and did not get to bed until 11:00 PM last night. I still need to get back to the hospital shortly and also work on a Sunday School lesson for next Sunday and get the meeting minutes prepped to go out from last weeks meeting. Yeah, I am behind but it will get done.

I am thankful that my team lead switched on call weekends with me. He started his on call early for me and I will take it back from him on Friday night. He is also working solo today (as well as yesterday) while I attend to my wife.

What kind of surgery? Sorry...I failed to mention that my wife had her thyroid removed. It appears all went well and the scarring will be minimal. The surgeon is highly rated so we were at peace with this. My wife's voice was not harmed although she said she was a little sore from the surgery.

Well, I still have to eat, shower and get out of here. My wife is scheduled to be examined at noon but I want to get over there to be with her this morning as soon as I can get things in order here.

No comments: