Sunday, July 06, 2008

An Extra Day To Rest

Friday was a holiday, Independence Day in the USA. Most people have the day off and most celebrate one of the most important holidays of the year but sadly, many don't.

I had the day off while my counterpart in Brazil covered for us "just in case". I did not do much but we had given some thought to going to East Texas to hang with some people from church. However there were storm clouds and I did not want to chance it. Instead, we stayed home, rested and went to see some fireworks later that night. There was no grilling out (we do this so much that not doing it seems odd), opting for baked potatoes from Jason's Deli (The Texas Style Spud, sans the butter for my wife...regular for me). It was a day of rest and for me, reflection. We live in the United States of America. An experiment in government that while is still young (232 years young), The US of A is a shining light that draws millions to our shores every year looking for a better life.

I got to bed early so I would be refreshed and ready to hit the geocaching trail by 7:30 AM the next morning. I was tired and had no trouble falling asleep.

I woke up the next morning and took the dogs for a walk and came back to the house to feed them. After they had been fed and watered, I gather up my gear and changed into some older clothes before I kissed my wife and headed out. My plan and route was simple but true to form, the plan changed.

I left and headed to Murphy to pick up three new caches placed by a newer member of the geocaching community, Txlabguy. After those I headed east to Sachse (pronounced, "Sax See") and grabbed a few more. I passed on a lot of caches in Sachse since they were placed by people in the geocaching community that I am not overly fond of and headed on to Wylie to knock out as many as possible there. Once I used up my ration of gas for the day, I headed back the shortest way which was through St. Paul and Lucas where I grabbed two more caches before heading home. A pretty good day with 18 caches and one travel bug that I need to drop off the the TB hotel after lunch. I still have several in West Plano I want to grab and would love to do that today but my guess is that I will have to wait until next week to do those.

I came home hot and sweaty but feeling pretty good. I hosed off outside then came in to put some clothes in the dryer and enter my finds into the geocaching.com web site. Hmm, I am up to 543 finds...not bad at all. 800 by the end of the year IS doable...maybe I can get 1000 before the end of the 2008.

After entering my stats the clothes were done, so my wife (who was napping) and I folded them. Once that was done I started vacuuming and after that, I worked on the yard until supper was ready. My wife handled the grilling and the sides while I got a shower...I was a sweaty mess as usual.

After dinner, we walked the dogs and then watched some TV. I recently discovered hulu.com and have watched the first five episodes of "Firefly" again, plus a few movies that they have as well. Whil not rich in content, it is not bad for free.

I finished up the book I was reading, "Monster" by Frank Peretti. He is a Christian author who writes some good thrillers. No language, no sexual encounters...just a good scare. I like his style.

No comments: